Economic Recovery Specialist (Agronomist)- Telafar
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunities for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Economic Recovery Project Manager, the Economic Recovery Specialist will provide technical support for the delivery of livelihoods and market-based programming across DRC’s areas of intervention in Ninewa Governorate, with a particular focus on agriculture and agribusiness-related livelihoods. More specifically, the Economic Recovery Specialist’s responsibilities include:
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the Economic Recovery activities being implemented by DRC.
- Provide technical support, guidance and training for DRC staff and persons of concern, and ensure compliance with DRC’s procedures and sector specific guidelines.
- Deliver Economic Recovery activities including business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation.
Programming & Technical Support
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to ensure efficient, effective and timely program implementation.
- Provide technical supervision and support for activities including business training and SME development, business grants, life-skills training, literacy and numeracy training, vocational training, micro-credit loans, savings groups, group enterprise development and facilitation.
- Develop technical training materials, project monitoring tools and written guidance as required.
- Deliver technical trainings on improved agricultural practices, agronomy and agribusiness to persons of concern and DRC staff, and evaluate the effectiveness of the delivered training in increasing the knowledge and skills of participants.
- Ensure compliance with DRC’s Iraq’s SOPs, policies and guidelines, the DRC Iraq country strategy, national and global technical standards, and donor requirements.
- Support the design and implementation of field assessments and surveys such as market assessments, price monitoring, labor market and value chain analysis.
- Conduct project monitoring according to the expected outputs and outcomes, and facilitate quality control to ensure that services provided meet the required standards.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ project reports, success stories and proposals and budgets.
Coordination and representation
- Build effective working relationships with the Directorate of Agriculture and other relevant external stakeholders in the project locations.
- Collaborate with MEAL, Information Management, Finance, Supply Chain and other DRC departments as required.
- Represent DRC at meetings with other humanitarian and development organisations, and in other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors.
- Supervise Officers, Assistants, Outreach Workers and Enumerators, including ensuring satisfactory completion of tasks and responsibilities, identifying performance issues, and assisting with the development of capacity building plans, under the guidance of Project Manager.
- Does not have direct line management responsibility for staff, but may contribute to recruitment and/or performance appraisal of members of the team.
- Implements the manager’s decisions through the work of subordinate employees, often playing a role in deciding how to do it; and how to achieve the objective set by the manager.
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets, ensure quality and documentation preparation for payment processing/distributions.
- Assist in coordinating any procurement, logistics or movement requirements for the team to support timely implementation of project activities.
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq Programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure the respect of DRC Code of Conduct and DRC’s zero tolerance policy of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), humanitarian principles and contribute to the integration of Protection and Age, Gender, Diversity (AGD) mainstreaming into DRC programming.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience with humanitarian organizations at same or higher position.
- Experience with and demonstrated technical knowledge on agriculture and/or agribusiness sector is essential.
- Experience in training delivery, business/SME development and cash-based programming.
- Able to work autonomously and manage priorities, workplan and schedules.
- Experience with preparing training materials, written guidance and/or narrative reports is desirable.
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment with different stakeholders.
- Ability to work sensitively with different community members, considering gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives.
- Demonstrated commitment to humanitarian principles and values is mandatory.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed is mandatory
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
University degree or equivalent professional qualification, preferably in Agronomy, Biology, Agriculture or relevant fields.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Arabic (fluent)
- English (Desirable)
- Kurmanji (Desirable)
- Turkmen (Desirable)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC Staff in the area
- MEAL, Supply Chain, IM, Finance, Admin/HR, Protection, Shelter
- Community and governmental stakeholders
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
Contract Length: 5 Months Contract
Salary Band: NMG
Start Date: 18th of Dec 2022
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo