Construction Assistant (G5)
The OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe promotes the implementation of OSCE principles and commitments, as well as the co-operation of the Republic of Tajikistan within the OSCE framework in all three dimensions. It is involved in a wide range of activities, ranging from counter-terrorism and border management projects to supporting cross-border markets and free economic zones, human rights, media development, and legal reform initiatives.
The incumbent will work for the OSCE Extra-Budgetary Project “Stabilisation of Tajikistan’s southern border region with Afghanistan”. The Construction Assistant is primarily working in the capacity of technical oversight of construction/renovation activities under the Project. Maintaining the highest degree of personal and professional ethics, the Construction Assistant maintains a collaborative, client-focused, quality, and results-oriented approach in the Project.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the National Civil Engineer and overall supervision of the Project Manager, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties:
- Conducting preliminary assessments at all construction sites to determine the scope of work. Providing assistance to the National Civil Engineer in drafting the specifications for design and construction works. Providing assistance to the National Civil Engineer in preparing the daily and weekly work plans/schedules;
- Supervising the works in accordance with the contract documents and the procedures established by OSCE; being responsible for a detailed review of project’s design drawings and quantities in order to ensure that they are followed correctly; Ensuring the correct implementation of the works according to technical specifications, drawings, workmanship and quality of materials; Preparing daily supervision reports, as well as weekly progress reports as required by Project Management; Recommending orders to the Contractor to remove or improve any works that are not in accordance with the drawings and/or specifications;
- Checking and verifying quantities of works done by Contractor and providing a report for each payment certificate. Studying and providing a written report on any Contractor’ claim and/or variation orders; Preparing written snag lists for final project checking prior to handover;
- Maintaining constant liaison with the Contractor and their representatives on site, including attending regular meetings and preparing meeting notes to ensure the pace of work progress. Regularly monitoring and inspecting the Contractor’s quality control and assurance program to ensure that quality of the finished works meet the project standards and specifications. Assessing and checking the laboratory and field tests carried out by the Contractor; Maintaining records of all inspection and testing work, including cross-referencing of items of work to which each test refers and location from which any samples were obtained for testing;
- Maintaining a filing system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and material on site, reporting and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities. Preparing and managing a proper handover process and completion certificate;
- Resolving any unforeseen technical difficulties and other problems that may arise in the process of work;
- Performing any other tasks as assigned.
Please note that this is an extra-budgetary post and initial appointment will be for one year. Further extension of the post is subject to availability of Extra-Budgetary funds.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe, please see: http://www.osce.org/programme-office-in-dushanbe.
- Secondary education supplemented by formal technical studies related to civil engineering, construction or similar;
- A minimum of 4 years of experience managing construction projects, particularly in the implementation of large construction and infrastructure projects;
- Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft applications and relevant engineering software;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English, Russian and Tajik languages;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions, is 754.00 EUR. Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see https://www.osce.org/participating-states.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please note that for this position the OSCE does not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests, visas and relocation.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: