Youth Trainer and Mentor on Entrepreneurship and Starting a Business
Podgorica | Pljevlja | Plužine | Mojkovac | Kotor | Kolašin | Novi | Danilovgrad | Cetinje | Berane | Andrijevica | Montenegro
The Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans 2 (ReLOaD2) is a continuation of the EU-UNDP partnership and previously supported initiative – ReLOaD implemented in the four-year period 2017 - 2020.
ReLOaD2 continues to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU integration process in the Western Balkans by empowering civil society and youth to actively take part in decision-making and by stimulating an enabling legal and financial environment for civil society. The programme is implemented in the following IPA beneficiaries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), North Macedonia, Kosovo?, Montenegro, and Serbia. The total budget of the ReLOaD2 is EUR 12.63 million, while the Montenegrin component is EUR 1.84 million. The Project duration is 48 months (2021 – 2024). Project implementation period started on January 1, 2021.
The following clusters of local self-governments (LSGs) in Montenegro have been selected to participate in the ReLOaD2 programme:
- Tara - municipalities of Mojkovac, Kolašin and Pljevlja,
- Coastal Mates - municipalities of Budva, Herceg Novi, Kotor and Tivat,
- Together for the North - municipalities of Andrijevica and Berane,
- Together Nikšic and Plužine - municipalities Nikšic and Plužine,
- Central region - Capital City Podgorica, Old Royal Capital Cetinje, municipalities of Zeta and Danilovgrad.
Working across the region, ReLOaD2, among other activities, promotes youth engagement and supports the implementation of youth initiatives and works on the improvement of their economic perspectives in partner localities. As part of the ReLOaD2 initiative, Research and assessment of the local policies pertaining to youth and youth needs in Montenegro was conducted aiming to assess local youth policies in 15 Montenegrin municipalities as a basis for further improvements in youth policy. The research was focused on the experiences, roles and attitudes of youth in local communities, as well as the identification of their needs, aspirations, and expectations from their communities. All findings, conclusions and recommendations were defined for each of the 15 municipalities, for all areas covered by the research and for different economic sectors, and as such, represent a high-quality basis for adopting and creating national and local policies and programmes and activities aimed at youth. Based on the Research and answers of the young men and women in 15 municipalities, the various topics of youth training are identified among which are: entrepreneurship and starting own business; prevention of discrimination and hate speech; promotion of youth services at the local level and participation of young people in decision-making processes; media literacy; creation of cultural content; mental health and healthy lifestyles, etc.
On this occasion, based on the above-mentioned topics and additional consultations with municipal officials, the ReLOaD2 team is seeking to engage a Youth Trainer and Mentor on Entrepreneurship and Starting a Business. Up to 12 trainings will be organized in 12 municipalities from December 2022 until mid-February 2023. As mentioned above, LSGs are organized in clusters of municipalities with potential of merging the trainings in neighbouring municipalities, in line with agreement with UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment:
The objective of the consultancy is to develop training curricula and materials and deliver up to 12 trainings for groups of youth (up to 20 participants per LSG) on the topic of youth entrepreneurship and starting own business in 12 partner LSGs. It is expected that municipal representatives and local institutions’ representatives (secretaries/departments in LSG, local branches of the Employment Agency of Montenegro, Social Welfare Centres, etc.) participate in each of the trainings in order to further strengthen cooperation between young people and local institutions.
The Trainer will be supported by Assistant Trainer in the areas of digital tools usage, creative content presenting, enriching the trainings with features such as scavenger hunts, quizzes, icebreakers, active breaks, mobile applications etc.
Under the supervision of the UNDP Project Manager, the Trainer is expected to deliver the following results:
- Preparation of training curriculum and materials – review of the relevant documents (primarily Research and assessment of the local policies pertaining to youth and youth needs in Montenegro, but also other available relevant documents on local, national and European level) and preparation of the training curriculum and materials).
- Training delivery (up to 12 trainings with a possibility with possibility of merging the trainings in neighbouring municipalities, in line with agreement with UNDP).
- Mentorship of young people working on entrepreneurship ideas after the training in each of the local self-government
1. Preparation of training curriculum and materials
The Trainer is expected to review all relevant documents related for the task – primarily Research and assessment of the local policies pertaining to youth and youth needs in Montenegro, as well as other relevant documents on local, national level focusing on the specificities for each of the LSGs targeted. EU documents related to entrepreneurship needs to be reviewed as well. The research will serve the Trainer to prepare for the training delivery.
The Trainer is expected, with the support of Trainer Assistant, to develop comprehensive two-day training package for up to 20 participants, including all relevant supporting materials (curriculum, presentations, handouts, reference materials, links to relevant web pages and videos, evaluation forms, etc.).
Considering the expected audience, the training curriculum should be developed on a basic and/or introductory level. All methods and language should be adapted to the characteristics of a youth group. They must be interactive and creative avoiding technical and complex wording. Time slots should be dedicated to interactive presentation (the usage of brainstorming, simulations, case studies, group debate, digital assets and methods, etc is much appreciated). The Trainer will be supported by an Assistant Trainer in preparation of the training materials by ensuring attractivity to youth with digital tools usage. Contemporary tools and techniques should provoke participants’ curiosity, boost their engagement, and lead to better learning and comprehension.
The training curriculum should include, but is not limited to:
- General information on entrepreneurship’s definition, types (conventional and unconventional: self-employment, freelancing, on-line work, digital nomads. etc), opportunities for young entrepreneurship on local and national level and some good examples from Montenegro and/or examples from the EU;
- Development of personal skills needed for starting own business or becoming entrepreneur (self-confidence, communication skills, innovation skills, creative skills, planning, etc);
- Generating ideas – during the training, the participants will be “pitching” some ideas related to entrepreneurship and starting own business that they will continue to develop after the training with the mentorship support from the Lead Trainer. This will be an opportunity for them to put into practice learnt during the training, while it might, at the same time, provide some good basis for their further development as entrepreneurs.
Three best and most innovative business ideas from each training should be selected and implementation financially supported by ReLOaD. Hence, it is expected from the Consultant to support trainees in development of realistic and implementable business start ideas.
The trainees will be youth individuals with fewer opportunities such as NEETs, unemployed, youth with temporary/short-term jobs and low standard of living, youth with a low educational background, social or geographical obstacles, etc. It must focus on strengthening their entrepreneurship knowledge and skills that will improve their employability, while, at the same time boosting their self-confidence, their access to formal and non-formal education opportunities and integration in society. The training will be attended by the representatives of partner LSG and other relevant local institution (secretaries/departments in LSG, local branches of the Employment Agency of Montenegro, Social Welfare Centres, etc.) in order to improve cooperation and joint work between local policy makers and youth.The training curriculum and relevant materials will be approved by ReLOaD2 project team prior to the training execution.
The time foreseen for this task is up to 5 days.
2. Trainings delivery (up to 12 trainings with a possibility that some of the trainings in neighbouring municipalities might be merged in line with agreement with UNDP).
The Trainer will, with the support of Assistant Trainer, deliver trainings for young people in 12 partner LSGs, for groups that will consist of up to 20 young people.
As mentioned above, besides young people that are the key target group and in order to enhance networking and cooperation between young people and partner local communities which is one of the main aspects of the ReLOaD2 programme, the training will be attended by few representatives of LSG and other relevant local institutions (relevant secretaries/departments in LSG, local office of the Employment Agency of Montenegro, Social Welfare Centres, etc). Potential cooperation that will be developed between those representatives and young people in the training setting can serve as a good basis for their further sustainable cooperation. The time foreseen for this task is up to 24 days.
3. Mentoring of young people working on entrepreneurship ideas after the training in each of the LSG
Following each training, the participants will be supported through mentorship by the Trainer, at their respective locations, to further develop the idea. ReLOaD will secure funding for implementation of selected entrepreneurship ideas, developed with the support of mentor. Mentoring of young participants will be organized in small groups (3-5 participants per a group, 3-5 groups per a training) and the groups will work on finalization of entrepreneurship ideas that emerged during the training. ReLOaD team will provide the venue and logistics for the mentoring sessions. The ideas are expected to be engaging in the community, interactive and simple and make young people and their needs visible. The ideas will be pitched to UNDP ReLOaD team and municipal representatives at the end of the training.
The time foreseen for this task is up to 12 days.
The Trainer will prepare report that will include description of all activities undertaken under this assignment, highlighting main results for each of the training (providing all relevant information such as participants lists, training goals and results achieved, number of trainees, analysis of pre and after-training knowledge, lessons learned and recommendations, training performance evaluation). Additionally, the report should have a specific section dedicated to mentorship that will depict all stages of mentorship. All data presented should be segregated by gender. Draft report should be submitted to the ReLOaD2 Project Manager within seven days after the final training.
The time foreseen for this task is 2 days.
Timing, travel and reporting:
The Youth Trainer and Mentor on Entrepreneurship and Starting a Business is expected to work in Montenegro (Andrijevica, Berane, Cetinje, Danilovgrad, Herceg Novi, Kolašin, Kotor, Mojkovac, Plužine, Pljevlja, Podgorica, Zeta) and home-based during the assignment (duration 12 December 2022 – 10 March 2023.) pursuant to the work plan of assignment’s activities, under an individual contract, for total of up to 43 consultancy days. The travel and accommodation costs for the municipalities where the trainings will take place should be included in the lump sum figure presented in financial offer provided by the Trainer during the application process. The accommodation for the neighbouring municipalities should not be envisaged in the offer since these costs will not be covered due to short distance.
Payments for the consultant`s fee will be realized based on the real delivery, i.e., will be paid upon submitting related timesheets filled in by the Trainer and annexed with participants signed attendance sheets.
The Youth Trainer and Mentor on Entrepreneurship and Starting a Business will be responsible for submitting written report to the UNDP Project Manager. The report should be submitted seven days after the training and contain detail and information that would enable the appraisal of the effectiveness to date of the assignment’s activities.
A tentative timetable of activities will be as follows (and finally agreed with the selected Contractor upon the finalization of the procurement process):
Deadline and level of effort
Preparation of training curriculum and materials
17 December 2022 (5 days)
Delivery of trainings
18 December 2022 – 15 February 2023 (24 days)
Mentoring of the few groups of young people that will work on implementation on some entrepreneurship ideas after the training
20 January– 1 March (12 days)
10 March 2023 (2 days)
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, preferably in business, law, economy, whereas advanced university degree would be an asset;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in training with various groups including youth – proven experience in the delivery of the trainings in youth sector, organizing or supporting organization of youth events, activities, local initiatives and projects at the local and/or national level
- Thorough understanding/knowledge of youth policies and youth programmes (especially on the local level in Montenegro)
- Advanced communication skills (in online and offline settings);
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Experience in non-formal education and facilitation
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Montenegrin and English is a requirement.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by December 4, 2022 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at https://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".