A (least hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
December 15, 2022
Senior Programme CBI Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Programme CBI Officer is an active member of a bureau, field operation or division and provides strategic direction, quality control and oversight to UNHCR cash assistance. The incumbent ensures that operations implement technically sound CBI in line with technical guidance and supports the compliance with CBI policy and administrative instructions on CBI. S/he will ensure the strategic and coherent use of CBI and monitor them adequately. S/he will ensure adequate coordination of all CBIs in line with the collaborative cash delivery principles and provide technical guidance on CBIs to UNHCR staff and partners.
Internally s/he will liaise with UNHHR country offices and/or Bureaux and/or HQ and relevant divisions and sectors. Externally s/he will liaise with Implementing and Operational Partners, National Governments, line ministries, donors, UN agencies and other key stakeholders.
The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Promote cash assistance, and the strategic and coherent use of CBI's, ensuring that CBI is maximised to meet protection, and in assistance and service provision throughout the displacement cycle, including in emergencies.
- Stay abreast of legal, political, security, technical and other developments which impact on the operational environment and assistance and service delivery through CBIs.
- Promote and ensure linkages with social protection and financial inclusion.
- Provide technical support on strategic planning and policy making on activities within the area of CBIs, including assessments, planning and budgeting, technical choices, legal and regulatory aspects, implementation modalities, coordination and monitoring.
- Support to ensure that CBI is fully, effectively integrated into the country operations plans and protection and solutions strategies.
- Collaborate with and support protection and sectors to increase the use of CBI in e.g. education, shelter, livelihoods, health and WASH programmes.
- Establish sound monitoring process for cash assistance, needed to measure and analyse CBI performance. Analyse trends and interventions, including CBI expenditure, upstream and downstream activities. Ensure post distribution monitoring (PDM) is conducted regularly and in line with the relevant guidance.
- Assess the technical soundness and generate recommendations for adjusting/adjust the CBI approach.
- Ensure fluid communication and information exchange with key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Lead/participate in relevant coordination and collaboration structures.
- Represent UNHCR or lead on behalf of UNHCR inter-agency coordination mechanisms on CBIs, promote and maintain collaborative cash arrangements, and strong relations with partners and other key actors, such as donors.
- Represent UNHCR in external technical fora.
- Generate data and analysis for evidence-base, communication, and visibility.
- Organise CBI-related knowledge management, learning and capacity building, including organising trainings and learning events.
- Fulfil CBI-related reporting requirements, including writing external updates, technical and PI material.
- Ensure the use of UNHCR CashAssist.
- Perform other related duties as required.
In Country Operations:
- In close collaboration with the Senior Management, ensure the functioning of CBI component of Multi-Functional Team (MFT) and ensure CBI is implemented according to UNHCR¿s policies, rules and regulations.
- Ensure CBI is included in the preparedness and response planning, and prepare UNHCR to be the first responder to new emergencies/ and return situations with CBI.
- Lead required assessments to ensure optimal CBI design.
- In collaboration with Finance and other colleagues, establish CBI Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the operation and coordinate the review with RB and the final clearance with HQ.
- Coordinate the Implementation CBI in accordance with the SOP, ensuring audit trail and proper accountability.
- Coordinate with Supply for timely procurement of financial service providers, including leading the technical evaluations and any other procurement related tasks, as well as contracting of financial service providers.
In Regional Bureaux:
- Ensure the coordination of CBI across the Regional Bureau and with country operations.
- Provide technical support to country operations, in all aspects of CBI delivery, in line with UNHCR¿s policy and guidance.
- Assess technical soundness of the operations.
- Review and provide inputs for CBI Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the operations and coordinate the review and final clearance with HQ.
- Review and provide inputs on issues and documents relating to procurement and contracting of financial service providers, including participation in technical evaluations as required.
- Generate organisation-wide guidance, policies, positioning, and tools, including policy documents, technical guidance, evaluations, lessons learnt, communication and visibility materials, reports, and synthesis.
- Provide technical support for the rollout and the implementation of CBI to regional bureaux and operations.
- Oversee CBI-related knowledge management, training and learning.
- Coordinate the interdivisional support and actively contribute to the SOP clearance with DFAM, CBI procurement-related documents with SMS, and CBI-related contracts with Financial Service Providers with LAS, and collaborate with other Divisions and services as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Economics; Social Science; Business Administration;
Social Economics; Political Science; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Programme Management; HCR Results Based Management;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in working in cash based assistance programmes and proven knowledge and technical skills in set up, design, implementation and monitoring of CBIs from a multisectoral and protection perspective.
Experience in interagency coordination.
PS-Private sector fundraising and partnerships
ER-Donor Relationship Development and Management
MG-Resource Mobilization Techniques and Guidelines
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
- MENA operations CBI implementation of programmes experience
- Provide advice, build capacity/coach operations in CBI interventions
- Demonstrated CBI and other policy and practical operational issues experience
- Demonstrated experience in major cash programmes designing the programme with functional units
- Designing monitoring, including PDM
- Participation in cash working groups and other coordination forums
- Experience in connecting UNHCR identity management systems to payment and assistance delivery
- Managing critical data and statistical analysis
- Ability to connect CBI programmes in emergency to medium and long terms programmes and interventions, including those on social inclusion
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
The MENA Regional Bureau in Amman covers 14 countries in the MENA region. The region continues to pose overwhelming challenges, with multiple and complex emergency and post-emergency situations, as well as complex mixed migration operations. The position is supervised by the Head of the Bureau Operations Support and Coordination Service and supervises one national officer position. It is integral part of the Bureau team, most closely working with the Programme, Supply and Controller’s functions in the Bureau, but also fully aligned with Protection and Development interventions and priorities.
The incumbent should have demonstrated capacity to provide advice, build capacity, coach and guide the operations on policy and practical operational issues, maintain clear and accessible monitoring systems and oversight mechanisms and ensure that all systems and procedures are streamlined and aligned with the country specific context. She/he needs to have demonstrated experience in a major cash programme, including experience in designing the programme with other respective functional units, conceptualizing the PDM and other types of monitoring. Participation in cash working group forums is required as well, including experience in multi-agency /inter-agency coordination around CBI and basic needs.
Incumbent should have demonstrated ability to analyze assess and improve UNHCR CBI systems and setups, experience in connecting UNHCR identity management systems to payment and assistance delivery systems, experience in managing critical data analysis and data visualization in order to improve programmatic analysis and communication, solid understanding of payment systems, requirements and standards and demonstrated ability to connect emergency CBI to more medium and long-term programmes and interventions.
Living and Working Conditions:
CL-Inter-Agency Leadership/Coordination, DM-Data Collection and Analysis, IM-Statistics Analysis
HCR Results_Based Management - UNHCR, Programme Management - Other
Annual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Workforce to Supervise, Working with Persons of Concern: Asylum Seekers, Working with Persons of Concern: Internally Displaced Persons, Working with Persons of Concern: Refugees, Working with Persons of Concern: Returned IDPs, Working with Persons of Concern: Returned Refugees, Working with Persons of Concern: Stateless
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Leadership, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Stakeholder management, Strategic planning & visions, Teamwork & collaboration
Bi-annual Compendium 2022 Part B – November 2022
This position requires Functional Clearance