Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
ReasonRegular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
Standard Job Description
Assistant Treasurer Treasury and Risk Management
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management provides leadership in functional and technical Management of Core Treasury: Liquidity, Foreign Exchange, Investment, centralized managed at Headquarters, with a total liquidity pool p.a. of equivalent US$10bn (100 currencies), providing treasury services and support to a decentralized UNHCR Organizational structure, reaching 130+ countries and 400+ Field Offices. The Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management devises global strategic direction in deploying: integrated Treasury Management Systems, integrated next generation financial technology, treasury industry risk management policy and guidelines. The Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management reports to the Head of Treasury and Cash Service with responsibilities and accountabilities under UNHCR’s Financial Regulations and Rules, and with overarching guiding principles of the United Nations. The Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management manages resource requirements for Treasury systems, processes, and procedures with main accountability in safeguarding the custody of UNHCR’s monetary assets, in compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements, country central bank, predictive econometrics evaluation methodologies to substantiate decision making. Treasury and Cash Service consists of three main units: (1) Foreign Exchange and Investment Management: led by 1 P5 (Assistant Treasurer for Liquidity and Investment), 1 G7, 1 G5; (2) Global Banking and Cash flow Management with 1 G7, 1 G6; (3) Treasury Financial Risk Management, Cash Based Interventions with 3 positions at P4 level. Internally: extensively collaborates, and coordinates with UNHCR’s country offices, and/or Bureaux and /or HQ and relevant divisions and sectors. Externally: oversees, negotiates with global/ local banking relationships, central banks, donors, partners, vendors, key stakeholders, UN Agencies. The Assistant Treasurer - Treasury and Risk Management actively participates in the UN Working Group for Common Treasury Services (WGCTS) to harness collaboration opportunities UN system wide.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Manage and apply treasury and risk management best practices: in Global Treasury Management, with expert proficiency, and knowledge, functional and technical skills, with vast experience in : Liquidity, Multi-currency Foreign Exchange (100 currencies/correlations/using evaluation methodologies and Investment management (short-long term), Treasury Reporting and Disclosures (analysis, evaluation, assessment, documentation).
- Deploy treasury industry standard forecasting and predictive evaluation approaches, using econometric models, e.g. Value at Risk (VaR) and Monte-Carlo simulations, term structures of interest- rate yields, providing analysis and interpretation of treasury specific exposure management.
- Manage advanced investment analysis, including security analysis, statistics, probability theory, fixed income, derivatives, economics, financial analysis, corporate finance, alternative investments, portfolio management.
- Manage an integrated global treasury risk management strategy, framework, policy and develop specific guidelines, with Treasury assessment and review, criteria to monitor and mitigation of risks: credit, interest rate, liquidity, and market.
- Manage and perform all related duties in global Treasury and Risk Management for Cash Based Interventions (CBI’s) in Financial Service Provision, integrations of systems, financial management, accounting, reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Assess, document, and report upon compliance requirements: Central Banks, Sanctions, Financial Action Task Force recommendation (FATF); UNHCR’s Anti-Money Laundering Policy.
- Manage the design and integration of UNHCR’s Global Treasury Management Systems, Processes and Procedures.
- Manage real time, auditable traceability in Treasury decision and risk management, embed risk control measures for standardization, integrity of data and information, mitigation of treasury risk and fraud.
- Deploy and apply treasury industry standard risk management analysis, risk evaluation methodologies, assessment, periodic reviews, risk parameters evaluation, documentation, reporting, and comprehensive disclosures.
- Manage functional and technical investment evaluations, such as Asset Liability Modelling (ALM), consulting with financial industry experts applying expertise in investment evaluation, methodologies, utilizing appraisal approaches for short-term and long-term investments.
- Manage and leverage current/next generation Treasury Management Systems (TMS), support digital transformation, using next generation financial technology, automations in applying robotics, machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Manage global and local bank relationships, financial services providers, FinTechs, providing UNHCR with access to global financial ecosystems at all levels: regional/country.
- Manage and update UNHCR’s Treasury management policy, guidelines, benchmarks, performance, reporting requirements.
- Manage and coordinate a dedicated team of highly skilled, and expert Treasury staff at Headquarters, provide leadership in Treasury coordination across the Organization (Bureaux/Regional/Country).
- Manage and perform all related duties in global Treasury and Risk Management for Cash Based Interventions (CBI’s) in Financial Management, Accounting, Reporting and Disclosure.
Coordinate with Country Operations:
- Manage Treasury and Risk Management is implemented according to UNHCR’s policies, regulations, and rules.
- Manage Treasury Management is to fully meet UNHCR’s operational needs, and included in preparedness and response planning, emergencies.
- Leadership in Treasury Management assessment to ensure optimal delivery to UNHCR stakeholders.
- Manage Treasury compliance with requirements: local governmental and related regulators, central banks, Anti-Money Laundering - Terrorist Financing.
Coordinate with Regional Bureaux.
- Manage coordination of Treasury Management Requirements with Regional Bureau, with country operations.
- Manage functional and technical support to country operations, in all aspects of Treasury Management requirements.
- Manage banking and access to financial ecosystems, related financial service provision, assessment, and documentation.
In Headquarters – Centralized Treasury Core Management
- Manage organization -wide Treasury Management policies, guidance, functional and technical tools, including policy documents, technical guidance, evaluations, compliance requirements, communication, traceability, and accountability.
- Manage functional and technical Treasury support for rollout and implementation for Treasury Management Systems, processes, and procedures (Bureaux, and operations).
- Manage global Treasury Management related illustration, centralized deployment, training and learnings.
- Manage interdivisional support and contribute to integrated Treasury Management across the Organization and stakeholder management.
- provide leadership in financial services provision, global financial ecosystem integrations, specialized monetary assessment throughout.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Banking, Auditing, Economics, Business Administration, Financial Management,
Treasury and Banking specific professional qualifications,
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Proven skills, knowledge, vast expert experience in global and international Treasury and Risk Management, including Liquidity, Foreign Exchange (individual/and portfolio); and Investment (short-term (internal UNHCR), long-term (external investment mandates)): UNHCR global operations covering 130+ countries, 400+ offices, 100 currencies, in a complex and integrated delivery of underlying operational requirements, UNHCR Regional/Country/Field decentralized organizational structure. Proficient expertise in integrated next generation Treasury Management Systems, processes, and procedures. Applying financial industry standards in Treasury Risk Management frameworks and methodology for Risk Identification, Assessment, Evaluation, Mitigation Measures, Reporting. Experience in Financial Risk Modelling, and applying risk evaluation methodology e.g. Value at Risk (VaR), Monte-Carlo Simulations.
UN experience in the Working Group of Common Treasury Services (WGCTS), UNHCR the co-lead – Head of Treasury & Cash Service.
FI-Treasury Management Systems (TMS)
FI-Treasury Risk Management
FI-Treasury/Global: Liquidity Management, Cash Flow forecasting, Foreign Exchange
FI-Treasury/Investment Management, strategic asset allocation, evaluation and disclosures
FI-Treasury/Finance Regulatory Compliance, Policy, Sanctions, AML, CTF, Central Bank rules
FI-Application of Financial Rules, Regulations and Procedures
FI-General Financial Management
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS, IPSAS, etc)
PS–private sector fundraising and partnerships
CB–Cash-Based programming/Managing / Planning
ER–Donor Relationship development and Management
MG–Resource Mobilization Techniques and Guidelines
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Empowering and Building Trust
Judgement and Decision Making
Strategic Planning and Vision
Planning and Organizing
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
Desired Candidate Profile
1. Proven experience in overseeing the management of global Treasury and Financial Risk operations at the global level in 130 countries and multicurrency environment (100 currencies)
2. Proven expertise and experience in managing global liquidity management and multi-currency foreign exchange management
3. Proven expertise in conducting short- term and long-term investment management,
4. Proven oversight and governance in Treasury and Financial Risk Management together banking and financial regulatory compliance
5. Proven expertise, knowledge and vast experience in using integrated Treasury Management Systems, processes advanced automation using robotics applications
6. Proven experience in investment performance reporting, evaluation and providing governance, providing integrated risk management for investment
7. Proven experience in integrated ERP systems (next generation Oracle/Cloud), including demonstrating expertise in transacting financial instruments (FX/Investment), their execution, accounting and reporting, together with compliance requirements
8. Experience in Cash Based Intervention and associated requirements in establishing access to the financial ecosystems, using various cash delivery modalities, in accordance with the CBI Guidelines for Financial Management, providing treasury and financial transactional transparency and accountability.
9. Proven ability to deal under a demanding and emergency related requirements being able to set priorities in a considerate and service-oriented manner, under time pressure, with zero tolerance for mismanagement and error.
10. Proficiency in English, including strong drafting skills.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Ideally the candidate should have:
Advanced University Degree in Business Administration or Finance, or related fields.
- A minimum of 15 years at the global level, of progressively responsible experience in treasury and risk management, banking, including foreign exchange and investment management, assessment of financial service providers, risk appraisal in of bank counterparty, integrated financial management and reporting in adherence to accounting standards (e.g. IPSAS).
- Proven experience in overseeing the establishment and management of global Treasury and Financial Risk. Management systems, processes and procedures in a global context with major bank relationships, as well as local banks, adhering to financial regulatory requirements.
- Relevant experience acquired in global liquidity management and global multi-currency requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in providing oversight and governance in Treasury and Financial Risk Management together with statutory reporting as well as regulatory compliance.
- Knowledge and demonstrated expertise of Treasury Management Systems with specific emphasis of integration and automation of Treasury and Financial Accounting Systems, including banking transactional systems, processes and automation thereof.
- Proven experience in investment performance reporting and providing governance through control mechanisms of managing investment committees.
- Experience in integrated ERP systems (preferably PeopleSoft/Oracle), including expertise in financial instruments transactions, their execution and accounting compliance with the IPSAS.
- Experience in Cash Based Intervention and associated requirements in establishing a financial control framework for transparency and accountability.
- Proven ability to deal under a demanding and emergency related requirements being able to set priorities in a considerate and service-oriented manner, under time pressure, with zero tolerance for error.
- Proficiency in English, including strong drafting skills.
The Assistant Treasurer reports to the Treasurer and Head of Treasury and Cash Service. Under delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible to assist the Head of Service to discharge accountabilities under the provisions of the UN Financial Regulations and UNHCR¿s Financial Rules. It entails to provide integrated Treasury and Financial Risk Management in Liquidity, Foreign exchange and Investment. The incumbent is required to adopt best practices in systems and process integration together with a centralized treasury management approach which includes managing a global banking infrastructure to deliver operational requirements in some 125 countries, and a complex multi-currency environment.
Furthermore, the new targeted CBI institutionalization efforts introduce new and significant financial control risks for the Organization. In this context the incumbent is required to implement the design of an integrated bespoke CBI Financial Control Framework, which includes specific CBI systems, processes and procedures. It is critical to put in place crucial building blocks to deliver UNHCR¿s strategy and to ensure upmost mitigation of any financial and reputational risk that is inherent to the delivery of Cash. In line with the strategic intent for Treasury and Cash Services, the Assistant Treasurer P5`s support will be key in view of increased roles and responsibilities.
Additional factors to highlight:
- Good knowledge of the UN system, its financial regulations, rules and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial qualities in organizing work effectively in a multicultural setting.
- Demonstrate outstanding communication skills, taking initiative, with strong technical and functional abilities and providing sound assessment and judgement.
- Contributing to effective team development and providing guidance to Field operations.
- Exposure to UN field operations, and humanitarian operations.
- Working knowledge of French.
Living and Working Conditions:
CompetenciesAccountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Leadership, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Policy research & development, Strategic planning & visions, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
UNHCR Salary Calculator
CompendiumBi-annual Compendium 2022 Part B – November 2022