H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
December 15, 2022
Chief of Management and Leadership Excellence Section
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The position is located within the Division of Human Resources (DHR). DHR is a strategic, trusted, and innovative business partner in enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern by attracting, motivating, retaining and developing a talented, diverse and agile workforce, while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect and wellbeing for all.
The incumbent of this position supports the UNHCR¿s People Strategy and contributes to the implementation of the 2018 independent HR review which resulted in the establishment of HR strategic priorities and the reconfiguration and transformation of the Division from a largely transactional model into a strategic business partner for field operations and senior management. The incumbent will partner with leaders and managers across the organization to provide expertise and consultation in leadership capability, people management excellence, team development, coaching culture, mentoring and organizational excellence. The incumbent will help drive the HR strategy, design programs, and execute policies that foster increased people management culture.
Ensuring leaders are equipped with relevant skills is one of these priorities. This requires coordination with other sections/services within DHR about processes related to succession planning and talent management as well as participation in the development of policies and procedures in these areas.
This position will play a key role in supporting the Senior Advisor Management Support that works in Directorate of DHR.
Reporting directly to the Head, Global Learning and Development Center, the Chief will have the overall responsibility of leading People Management, Leadership Development, Team Culture and Talent Pool Development teams. The incumbent supervises international, national, and general staff whose performance s/he will monitor and complete evaluations, and whom s/he will guide and support in their day-to-day functions.
S/he is supervised by the Head of the GLDC (D-1) who will provide overall direction and guidance.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Align leadership and people management capacity with UNHCR¿s HR strategy Consult with leaders, Senior HR Business Partners, and key stakeholders across the organization to continuously refine the leadership and people management culture and values, and embed them in key processes (Performance Management, Development Planning, Talent Review, Succession Planning, Leadership Development, Talent Mobility, On-boarding). Collaborate with DEI and other colleagues to ensure DEI principles are embedded in leadership and people management activities.
- Lead the design and delivery of learning solutions for staff to enhance their knowledge and build skills in new areas in collaboration with business owners. Map competencies for all staff in assigned client portfolio, developing a comprehensive framework in support of the development of the talent pipeline.
- Ensure that required culture and values are translated to leadership/management behaviour in collaborations senior stakeholders. Ensure accountability through performance management, employee engagement pulse, 360 feedback, or other instruments.
- Provide coaching, consulting, and facilitation support to UNHCR leaders and colleagues globally on people management. Use consulting and facilitation tools to support definition of organizational structure, agile teams, hybrid mangers, and matrix management.
- Design key team development solutions including team coaching, culture assessments, and high performing teams¿ framework.
- Support leadership and people management efforts through impact analysis, key stakeholder identification, communications planning, executive coaching and thought partnership
- Conduct organization needs assessments to identify opportunities and drive desired changes and outcome.
- Provide coaching, consulting support to UNHCR leaders and colleagues globally as we implement major change initiatives.
- Measure and continuously improve the UNHCR people management experience. Collaborate with leaders and colleagues globally to define and measure the people management experience using surveys, listening tools, etc. Design, recommend, and execute interventions to continuously improve people management experience.
- Partner with HR Business Partners to shape strategy, manage change, improve processes, redesign organizational structures, identify and coach key talent, and realign/shift cultures assuring high performing, engaged and inclusive teams.
- Conduct regular analysis of pertinent statistical data to identify trends and developments related to people management and leadership.
- Lead the conceptualisation and development of a Leadership Development Framework that uses a participatory methodology that includes UNHCR leaders and the field, and links to the accountability framework, change management and performance as well as mainstreaming inclusion, diversity, and gender equity.
- Provide leadership to ensure integration of the UNHCR competency model across the enterprise and imbedded in key talent programs to reinforce organizational effectiveness results in support of the cultural transformation that Matthews is undergoing.
- Represent the GLDC in meetings with UNHCR divisional and technical experts, bureaux, interagency and partner counterparts as well as potential and actual vendors.
- Approve budget expenditures for the learning and development activities under his/her responsibility.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
*Business Administration; *Human Resources; *Public Administration;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
12 years of relevant professional work experience the area of human resources management, business or public administration and organizational management. Five years of demonstrated work experience in the area of talent management in one more of the following areas: recruitment, succession planning, talent development, HR Business Partner, change management, people development and/or leadership development. Knowledge and understanding of Talent Management and Career development of staff and related disciplines. Experience in rolling out and delivering capacity building initiatives.
High degree of organisational and cultural awareness and sensibility. Demonstrated interest in creative, innovation and change management. Team building and leadership abiliity. Understanding of the UN Staff Rules and Regulations, staffing and overall organisational structure in the UN system. Familiarity with data systems and analysis.. Good understanding of coaching and its scope and applicability according to the needs of individual staff. Combined HQ and field experience in an international capacity.
TR-Training - Virtual and face to face
TR-Facilitation - Virtual and face to face
*TR-Training Design and Material Preparation
UN-UN/UNHCR Inter-agency Policies, Standards, Programmes, and Partnerships
*TR-Implementation of Learning Management Systems
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
The position is located within the Division of Human Resources (DHR)- Global Learning and Development Center. The Division`s mission statement indicates that DHR is a strategic, trusted, and innovative business partner in enabling UNHCR to protect and respond to persons of concern by attracting, motivating, retaining and developing a talented, diverse, and agile workforce while nurturing a culture of excellence, respect, and wellbeing for all. GLDC support teams to achieve the highest possible performance to realize the organization`s strategic mission, prepare and continually develop employees and learning ecosystems to achieve the highest possible performance, and design processes, systems and tools to create a culture of continuous learning, career growth, engagement, performance development knowledge sharing and innovation. The role is to lead the Leadership and Management Section, including three units People Management, Team Solutions and Leadership Development. The section supports and enables the analysis, design, delivery, and administration of integrated talent solutions for UNHCR 's Divisions, Bureaux, and Operations. The incumbent will lead the section with the essential activities developing and positioning people management resources for all managers, working in close coordination with the Talent Identification Unit in GLDC and for SHRPs, managing people management learning and other national staff programs, optimizing the use of external platforms for people management, working to optimize team performance for better people management, integration of Workday across the talent lifecycle, supporting team performance for better people management, team coaching, updated development programmes for Reps and Deputy Reps, women in leadership development for P5/D1 level, targeting leadership development for senior national staff, and designing an executive education portfolio track- P5 and above.
This is a demanding role in which the incumbent must master several technical domains concurrently, most notably, a deep understanding of ; organizational change and development; project management; innovation as well as experience from a consultative/advisory to help the client analyse organizational problems and co-create solutions (drawing from across GLDC and DHR).
Living and Working Conditions:
BU-Project and Budget Coordination, MG-Business Process Innovation, MG-Change Management, MG-Client Relationship Management, MG-Project Management, TR-Leadership Development
BA: Business Administration (Required), BA: Human Resources (Required), BA: Public Administration (Required)
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Leadership, Managing performance, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Strategic planning & visions, Teamwork & collaboration, Technological awareness
Bi-annual Compendium 2022 Part B – November 2022
This position doesn't require a functional clearance