Programme Associate (VAM-Vulnerability Analysis & Mapping) SC6 Damascus VA061-2022
syrian arab republic
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 12 Dec, 2022.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNEMENT
WFP’s food security assessment and analysis (VAM) is seeking for Syrian national to fill the position at the Country Office. The incumbent will be expected to provide effective specialized support and technical analysis to Policy and Programme Activities that effectively meet food assistance needs. Specifically, the incumbent will contribute to market related VAM activities at country level and support the field offices including but not limited to coordinating and conducting price monitoring and market assessments, food security assessments, information validation and triangulation, vulnerability review and targeting exercises for food security and programme design purposes.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Market Analyst and the overall supervision of the Head of VAM, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Coordination and implementation of Price monitoring and Market Assessments and other Food Security Assessments
• Coordinate, design and implement regular price monitoring and market assessments including Market Functionality Index (MFI)
• Participate, as and when needed in the design and implementation of other VAM led assessments Food Security and Livelihood Assessments (FSA/FSLA), Crop and Food Security Assessment Missions (CFSAM), Joint Assessment missions (JAM) and other ad-hoc rapid and emergency assessments
• Contribute to design, translation, and testing of tools (XLSForm/ODK/MODA questionnaires, training manuals) for VAM price monitoring, market and other VAM led assessments
• Travel as necessary to the field to ensure quality data collection for VAM surveys and give necessary support to data collection teams including Third Party Monitoring (TPM) staff.
• Develop and maintain data dictionaries and catalogues for generated datasets and databases; clean data and update databases (including the corporate VAM databases))
• Gather relevant market and food security information from key sources (media, online digests, official announcement and decrees, Key informants, etc..) and timely inform VAM unit for further processing/reporting
• Build and maintain CO level events database (security, exchange rates (formal, informal, UN), market prices, production surplus/deficit, drought) relevant to food security to serve as VAM secondary information when needed
Data Processing, Analysis, Reporting, and dissemination
• Compile market and food security related information and vulnerability information from situation and operations reports, VAM CO/RB/HQ bulletins and other sources as needed for CO and other WFP/VAM reporting purposes
• Support FO with data analysis activities using SPSS, Tableau, MODA dashboard and other modern technologies and prepare expected outputs (graphs, tables, short reports etc.) for further dissemination.
• Assist in data analysis and drafting of VAM market bulletins and other reports, as needed.
• Triangulate information from external sources as necessary and when requested to contribute to VAM analyses
• Contribute to design, testing and maintain market price and other VAM related dashboards and visual products
• Take part in food security analysis for the Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO) exercise as well as in HNO-related discussions/workshops.
• Collaborate with Syria’s Central Bureau of Statistics on how the MEB can be used to inform regular inflation monitoring (linking the MEB and a consumer price index)
• Conduct food security related thematic studies.
Capacity building of staff and partners
• Contribute to development of training materials for price and market related trainings to partners.
• Train enumerators, staff from field offices and or third-party monitoring (TPM) firms, third on data collection techniques and use of Tablets and other technologies used in data collection.
• Train and give support to WFP staff for data entry and data extraction/reporting in and from VAM databases (Dataviz, VAM dashboards).
Well organized, innovative, timely, complete, and accurate reports, records, and databases, generated with compliance to WFP/VAM standards.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Completion of secondary school education. A university degree in Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology or any related functional area will be an added value.
At least six years of work experience related to programme, in which three were progressively responsible for data and database management, statistical modeling, design and maintenance of analytical products including dashboards, field assessment, operational reporting, or other tasks directly related to “ACCOUNTABILITIES/RESPONSIBILITIES” advertised in this post”
Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and in English.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Strong knowledge of data collection, treatment, and manipulation and presentation techniques. Advanced computer skills, including Excel, Power Point and Publisher. Medium to advanced hands-on experience with statistical analysis packages (SPSS, R, Stata, etc.) General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Sound judgment; ability to generate, transform, interpret, analyse, and format data to resolve operational problems. Ability to work under pressure and or with minimum of supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural and social-economic backgrounds.
Intermediate to proficient command of data visualization tools (PowerBI, Tableau, R Shiny, etc.) Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative survey techniques; Experience in working with both International NGOs (including UN Agencies) and Government Institutions. Knowledge of ODK Suite and popular management sites (MODA, ONA, KOBO, ENKETO) for field data collection and management
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: