Health and Medical Advocacy Intern
Upon arrival to the United States and throughout their first few years, refugees and asylees face numerous hurdles to effectively navigate the US healthcare system and accessing important community health resources. The International Rescue Committee (IRC) works one-on-one with clients to meet each of their unique health needs. Health Advocate Interns play an important role in IRC's mission. The interns work in close coordination with IRC's Health Program Manager, IRC Health Team, and local healthcare providers to coordinate and advocate for the healthcare and preventative health needs of refugee/asylee clients. By arranging appointments, teaching basic preventative health measures, and networking with healthcare providers, the Health Advocate Interns gain valuable experience working with clients and interpreters of diverse cultural backgrounds, hone skills in case noting, gain an understanding of refugees’ acute and chronic health concerns, and develop expertise in navigating the US medical system and Arizona's Medicaid.
Please note that this position is unpaid.
In-person interns are preferred for this position, but some remote interns and/or hybrid in-person/remote interns may be accepted.
- Coordinate scheduling, interpretation, and transportation for all new arrivals to establish care with a Primary Care Provider and follow up as necessary
- Serve as patient advocate, accompany clients to medical appointments, transport clients for lab work and other diagnostic testing, and report follow-up and referrals from providers
- Record activities as directed and give timely reports to the Health Program Manager
- Provide training to clients regarding pharmacy services and understanding how to access prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Assist clients to become self-sufficient in accessing transportation to medical appointments by providing trainings and assisting with applications to special transportation services as needed
- Work closely with the Health Program Manager to assist clients in finding health resources that best meet their needs
- Reinforce clients’ understanding of treatment instructions and referral and specialist follow up care
- Other activities as assigned