Project Manager for anticipatory humanitarian assistance and disaster risk reduction
German Red Cross Country Representation in Kyrgyzstan is working under the Framework Integration Agreement signed between the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and German Red Cross (GRC), which is renewed every year.
IFRC is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services. IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
The IFRC Country Cluster Delegation for Central Asia is based in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan and supports the National Societies in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
German Red Cross Representation in Kyrgyzstan is also based in Bishkek and working with Red Crescent Society of Kyrgyzstan for German Red Cross supported projects under the framework of the integration agreement mentioned above.
The Project Manager will fulfil the overall programme implementation and management responsibilities as part of the Country Representation for German Red Cross supported projects in coordination with the Red Crescent Society’s province project coordinators and staff at branch level and ensure that the project is coordinated with respective departments at the Red Crescent Society of Kyrgyzstan (RCSK) headquarters.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Country Representative in the overall operational management of the GRC supported Integrated project on anticipatory humanitarian assistance and disaster risk reduction for vulnerable communities in Central Asia (in Kyrgyzstan) financed by Federal Foreign Office of Germany, ensuring that specific objectives are met in timely manner;
- Assist in ensuring efficient and effective management of the resources of the donor(s) in implementation of the project activities and ensure the funds of the project are used solely for the activities as described in the project description;
- Monitor all project activities in Kyrgyzstan through regular field-visits to the project sites and timely produce respective reports;
- Support RCSK in timely implementation of activities and to achieve planned project results;
- Liaise with governmental authorities and other stakeholders on technical day to day project related issues to ensure coordination and proper achievement of tasks and objectives under the supervision of the Country Representative and in conjunction with Red Crescent Society of Kyrgyzstan
- Ensure that the project is implemented in accordance with all guidelines and procedures which are applicable under the existing project documents/agreements with the Donor and counterpart(s);
- Ensure that all narrative and financial reporting is submitted in timely manner;
- Assist on budget monitoring, in order to prevent under and over expenditures and to ensure that all the project expenditures under the GRC supported components are spent according with the prepared and agreed budget;
- Take responsibility to present and discuss proposed changes in project implementation and budget with Country Representative,
- Produce and submit project reports to the Country Representative according to the donor requirements, formats and deadlines;
- Ensure that the Country Representative is kept fully informed and updated when other external parties (counterparts, INGO’s, NGO’s & GO’s, donors, etc.) seek contact or correspond on any matters;
- Ensure all project files, records, archives and databases are kept in good order and regularly updated;
- Assist in development of new project concepts, elaboration of project designs, submission to donor(s), and further implementation according to the donor(s) requirements, formats and deadlines;
- Undertake any other project related duties and responsibilities requested by the supervisor that are not mentioned in this job description.
- Undertake any other work-related duties that may be requested by supervisor.
- University degree
- Proven English verbal and written English translation skills.
- Further qualification in appropriate fields
- Experience in working with Red Cross and Red Crescent
Proven good planning, designing, communication, management, administration, budgeting and organisation skills for field operations.
- Experience in working with humanitarian organizations
- Experience in administration / finance
- Three years’ experience of managing, training, supervising and supporting staff in field operations
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Appropriate computer knowledge related to administration and finance
- Strong sense of responsibility and control
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- High capacity and ability to prioritise
- Flexibility, ability to work in a team in a supportive and cross-functional way
- Excellent knowledge on computer applications (windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)
- Fluently spoken and written English and Russian
- Valid national driving licence (manual gears)
- Skills in training and developing staff
- Good command of Kyrgyz language
Competencies, Values and Comments
- High degree of competence in National Society relations
- Results focus and accountability
- Professional Mastery
- Managerial effectiveness
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: