Data Visualization Officer
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
The Data Visualization Officer will be responsible for ensuring high quality service in the development, implementation, and maintenance of information products for use in decision-making and reporting approaches in the IFRC Country Delegation and the Host National Society in Ukraine.The variety of uses and implementation of information products includes disaster preparedness, response, and recovery; medium- and long-term programming; and humanitarian projects conducted by IFRC and National Societies in the country. Such support will also be directed to the operation related to the crisis in Ukraine.
The Officer covers the development of informative and visual products such as thematic maps, spatial analysis, infographics, and interactive dashboards, templates for the plans and reports etc. by adhering to the IFRC and National Societies’ visual standards and guidelines.
Specifically, the Data Visualization Officer is accountable for:
1) developing systems, guidance and processes for the use and management of geographic data and its integration with operational/programmatic data,
2) being a focal point for standards, best practices and advisory in data visualization and mapping across IFRC Europe Regional Office, IFRC Country Cluster Delegations and Country Offices, and National Societies in the country,
3) supporting the integration of spatial analysis and data visualization in (response) operations, and
4) day-to-day tasks related to mapping and infographics, creating, and maintaining information materials, interactive dashboards and other requests as required.
The Data Visualization Officer will work closely with and support Information Management (IM) and Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) colleagues in the IFRC and the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) to ensure coherence in developing and maintaining the information products.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the IFRC and URCS with mapping and data visualization requests, as necessary.
- Support in creating external facing reports, plans and presentations, including for operations and communication purposes.
- Ensure timely preparation and generation of information products such as infographics, dashboards and maps for information sharing and dissemination to relevant stakeholders, ensuring information products fits all needs and audiences, including Senior Management and operational decision-makers.
- Support the integration of spatial analysis and data visualization in (response) operations.
- Ensuring alignment for mapping and data visualisation standards with the IFRC procedures and being a focal point for standards, best practices and advisory in data visualization and mapping across IFRC Europe Regional Office, IFRC Country Cluster Delegation and Country Delegation, and National Societies in the country.
- Coordinate and collaborate with RCRC partners on the harmonisation and alignment of GIS standards and approaches where appropriate.
- Provide quality control and technical guidance over the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and data visualization tools such as QGIS, ArcGIS, Power BI, Tableau and other relevant systems and tools.
- Identify gaps in the use of GIS technologies for the IFRC network and undertake to address the gaps where necessary.
- Closely collaborate with and support Information Management (IM) and Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) colleagues in the IFRC and the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) to ensure coherence in developing and maintaining the information products.
- Support IFRC and National Societies in ensuring quality data collection, management, analysis, and visualization, including spatial data.
- Provide technical guidance and support to National Societies on geospatial technologies and data visualization standards and best practices, to improve RCRC Movement spatial data collection, analysis, and data-driven decision-making capacities.
- Provide training and dissemination of data visualisation standards, procedures, and tools to IFRC and National Societies staff, aiming to improve the use of data/information to support decision-making and reporting.
- Relevant university degree or higher education in information management, epidemiology, statistics, data or social science, GIS or demonstrated equivalent humanitarian related experience;
- Recognised technical training in Information Technology, demography, statistics, GIS, data visualization, graphic design, social sciences, analysis, needs assessments or a related field.
- At least 3 years experience in the development and use of GIS, database systems, data visualization and other information management tools, systems, and procedures
- Experience in building and/or working in a network and a remote team
- Experience facilitating trainings
- Data literate
- Experience/knowledge of GIS tools and technologies, such as QGIS and ArcGIS
- Experience/knowledge of Data Visualization and Business Intelligence tools, such as Power Bi and Tableau
- Experience in providing Information Management and data visualisation support in a disaster response and recovery emergency operation
- At least 2 years of experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Proficiency in digital and software (Data visualization, GIS, spreadsheets, internet, email)
- Training and staff developing skills
- Strong knowledge of GIS tools and technologies, such as QGIS and ArcGIS
- Strong knowledge of data visualisation and Business Intelligence tools, such as Tableau, Power BI or other
- Solid team coordination and/or support skills
- Fluently spoken and written English and Ukrainian
- Knowledge of information management in emergencies
- Knowledge of IFRC GIS and data visualization procedures and standards
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies, Values and Comments
Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
Core Competencies: Communication; Collaboration and Teamwork; Pro-activity; National Societies and Customer Relations; Creativity and Innovation; Building Trust
Comments: This is a national staff position open to Ukrainian nationals and others who are legally eligible to work in Ukraine. Candidates must be able to provide proof of their eligibility to work in Ukraine.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: