Administrative Assistant (OHCHR)
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of the Mission and Head of Programme and Operations, the Administrative Assistant/ Assistant to Head of Mission provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant/Assistant to Head of Mission promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant/ Assistant to Head of Mission works in close collaboration with the Management, Administration and Programme staff in the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU) and other UN agencies staff as well as with external partners to ensure consistent service delivery.
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/HRMMU rules, regulations, policies, and strategies.
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the HRMMU office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receives visitors and handles incoming phone calls as the first point of contact of HRMMU.
- Arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Translation of simple correspondence, when needed.
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services.
3. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Assist newly recruited staff upon arrival and conducts introductory training, briefs on UN rules and procedures as well as security arrangements.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents, in particular for the Head of Mission.
- Assistance in organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for HRMMU shipments (received/sent), preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions, as a backup to Procurement and Finance Officer.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats in coordination with HR & Admin Officer. Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services, in coordination with HR & Admin Officer.
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation.
- Acting as a custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables, and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Head of Mission.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UN/HRMMU rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including in UMOJA; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial, and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Secondary education. Certification in administration is desirable.
5 years of relevant experience in administration, secretariat, program support service or other related field.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable. Familiarity with UMOJA and relevant certification would be a definitive asset.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian (both oral and written) is required.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: