Urban Planner/Resilience Analyst (NPSA8)
A.) Comprehensive Disaster Risk Management Programme (CDRMP) has been formulated as part of the Strategic Partnership Framework signed between the Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (BCPR) and UNDP, and in accordance with the Nepal Risk Reduction Consortium. It aims to strengthen the institutional and legislative aspects of disaster risk management in Nepal by building the capacities of National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA), Ministry of Home Affairs, other ministries, provincial governments and local governments. The programme’s intervention in DRR legal and policy aspects, Building Code, Risk Sensitive Land Use Plan, safer construction practices, climate risk management, disaster information management system, community-based disaster risk management, and emergency preparedness, response and recovery aims to strengthen the overall system of disaster risk management and resilience building in Nepal. In addition, CDRMP has been providing support to federal, provincial and local governments for developing long term DRRM policies and action plans, building urban resilience and strengthening disaster preparedness considering the multi-hazard risks that Nepal is exposed to.
B.) The main objective of this position is to support the CDRMP in planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting on the initiatives related to building code, risk sensitive land use planning, risk informed urban development and urban resilience. The selected personnel will be responsible for providing required inputs in CDRMP’s overall work framework.
Develop and maintain effective relations including with the partners and counterparts of the Building Codes Compliance and Risk Sensitive Land Use Planning (BC & RSLUP) and safer housing activities of CDRMP:
- In close coordination with the CDRMP’s Officer-in-charge (OIC), contribute to the development of appropriate working relations with national stakeholders to advance buy-in and national ownership of relevant aspects of the CDRMP: with focus on BC, RSLUP, urban development and safer housing activities
- Provide support for planning, management and quality delivery of outputs and activities related to Building Codes Compliance and Risk Sensitive Land Use Planning (BC & RSLUP) and urban development in a timely, efficient and dynamic manner
- Assist CDRMP in representing the team in all relevant technical meetings in UNDP Country Office, at national and province levels
- Ensure all activities are being planned, implemented and monitored in close coordination with key national counterparts: MOUD, MOFAGA, NDRRMA and respective provincial as well as municipal governments/agencies where applicable. Prepare project concept papers as and when required and other such documents
Carry out the monitoring and evaluation, planning and reporting responsibilities related to BC & RSLUP activities and urban preparedness:
- Support/work with CDRMP’s OIC to ensure quality assurance and M&E aspects of BC & RSLUP activities, urban development and preparedness are well captured.
- Contribute to timely preparation of required quality reports
- Work with CDRMP staff responsible for operation and management of project on strengthening urban preparedness, earthquake preparedness and response (SUPER) in western regions of Nepal and assist on urban resilience related issues
- Assist to prepare detail work plans, action plans, calendar of events, M&E framework and plan, risk, issue and lessons learned in consultation with the implementing partners and stakeholders
Provide support for preparing urban resilience policy for two urban municipalities and other activities under UNDP’s joint programme on environment and climate.
Provide inputs in project design including concept notes and project proposal related to BC & RSLUP, risk informed urban development, urban resilience policy, green recovery and safer housing and retrofitting in consultation with UNDP’s Policy Advisor, Portfolio Manager and CDRMP’s Officer-in-charge.
Ensure timely mobilization and utilization of CDRMP subcontracts, training and equipment, consultancy inputs to the BC & RSLUP, urban resilience and safer housing activities.
Assist to develop and maintain effective relations including with the partners and counterparts of the BC & RSLUP, urban resilience and safer housing practices.
Ensure key considerations of gender, disability and social inclusion are effectively included in all the activities.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business direction and strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Integration within: The UN Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Risk informed urban development
- Urban Resilience and Climate Change: Ability to develop effective plan of action aligned with UNDP’s agenda and government’s climate change and adaptation priorities
Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery
- Disaster Risk Management and Reconstruction: Ability to develop plans and strategies for disaster preparedness, response, recovery and reconstruction
- Climate Change and Risk Management of Disasters with a Gender Perspective
- Master’s or Bacehlor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional/Land Use Planning, Natural Resources Management or any related field
- Master’s degree with zero years or Bachelor’s degree with two years of relevant experience in the field of urban development; policy, act and regulation formulation and processes; safer building construction; multi-stakeholders and comprehensive development programmes with national and international agencies
- Knowledge of urban resilience, disaster risk reduction and safer construction practices in Nepal
- Knowledge in writing technical papers and concept notes on risk informed development and urban resilience related topics
- Good knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Candidates from PGI and PGII will be given preference as per the Diversity policy
- Strong knowledge of urban planning and disaster risk management and a good experience with national and international agencies
- Skills on preparing quality reports and other knowledge products
- Excellent command on spoken and written English. Knowledge of Nepali language is required
Note: This position is open for Nepal nationals only
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: