- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Oakland
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Closing Date:
Job Overview: The Donations Specialist will work in coordination with the Community Engagement team, providing support to the IRC’s programs in the areas of in-kind donation solicitation, distribution and tracking. The Donation Specialist will be the point person for donation procurement and distribution and will therefore be responsible for coordinating with community members, donors, refugee clients and IRC staff. The Donation Specialist will work closely with the Inventory Specialist to ensure accurate and timely tracking of all donated items in central database. When necessary the Donation Specialist will also support the Community Engagement Manager in developing new relationships with community partners and donors, providing community outreach, contributing to communications and social media, as well as planning and coordinating match generating strategies and in-kind donation opportunities. The IRC relies on in-kind donations from its community of supporters to provide critical support to beneficiaries. This position will be integral for providing critical support to the IRC in Oakland.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Safely load, unload, and disburse goods in strict accordance with IRC and donor requirements in collaboration with IRC colleagues, direct service staff and community members
- Assist with the development and facilitation of match generating opportunities to leverage community interest and in-kind donations;
- Work closely with Inventory Specialist to manage and track donations in central database
- Support procurement efforts by coordinating with vendors, managing supply lists, and tracking and communicating market prices. Inform management team of inventory-related needs.
- Use personal, insured vehicle and/or IRC vehicle to travel and transport materials as needed throughout the service delivery area.
- May train and lead the activities of volunteers and interns.
- Support community engagement events, as needed;
- Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency;
- Participate in IRC Communities of Practice, staff meetings, staff development activities, and fully engages as a member of the Community Engagement team;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Community Engagement Manger
Position directly supervises: may supervise volunteers and interns
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Inventory Specialist, Community Engagement team, Oakland staff, volunteers and interns
External: Donors, schools and universities, community groups, and other external parties
Education: BA/BS degree preferred, preferably with an emphasis in communication, non-profit management, human resources, international development or relevant field of study.
Work Experience: · Minimum 2 years of related professional experience; preferably in a not-for-profit or other social services environment.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; proficiency in language(s) spoken by client group is desired (Spanish, Dari/Farsi).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research, and problem-solving purposes.
- Must be able to lift 35+ lbs. safely.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
Language Skills: Excellent written and spoken English
Certificates or Licenses: Reliable transportation with proof of valid driver’s license, insurance and clean driving record is required;
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities. In-kind donation distribution will require driving a pick-up truck and lifting to move items into homes. Some weekends and evenings may be required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.