Deputy Project Manager (NPSA11)
Since 2013 UNDP “Strengthening the Electoral Cycle in the Solomon Islands Project” (SECSIP) provides technical assistance to the Solomon Islands Electoral Commission and other national institutions throughout the electoral cycle (pre-election; elections/polling and post-election) to support inclusive and credible electoral processes. In September 2021, the project began its third phase which is expected to end in December 2024.
SECSIP III will work towards achieving the overarching outcome of ‘more sustainable and inclusive electoral institutions and practices in support of democratic governance in Solomon Islands’ through the four following outputs:
- Output 1: Institutional and operational capacities of the electoral authorities strengthened
- Output 2: Capacity of national authorities and local networks to provide voter information and awareness and to encourage civic engagement strengthened
- Output 3: Legal electoral framework Improved
- Output 4: Women’s political participation and leadership around the country enhanced.
SECSIP is currently funded by the Government of Australia and UNDP. The project aims to continue building synergies and strategic partnerships with a range of national stakeholders from government and civil society to ensure that an enabling environment for credible and inclusive elections is created
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser/Project Manager and working closely with UNDP Governance and in consultation with the senior management of the Solomon Islands Electoral Office and other responsible parties, the Deputy Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the Project Manager in the overall implementation of the project. This will include implementation of all project inputs, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) processes, as well as the supervision of project staff, consultants and sub-contractors.
Contribute to the technical lead for project planning, management and implementation
- At the direction of the CTA/Project Manager, help ensure the efficient functioning of the project to ensure the timely performance of the project actions, the quality of outputs, and adherence to applicable UNDP standards, rules and regulations
- Coordinate the efficient planning, implementation, management and coordination of the project operations and personnel
- In coordination with UN and key national institutions, provide direct guidance and supervision of national and international technical staff working with the project
- Ensure strong partnerships and coordination between the project with national governmental entities and civil society actors and other stakeholders, by facilitating communication and exchange of lessons learned and good practices. Ensure effective design, organization and implementation of agreed activities assisting in the identification of short-term experts on specific subject areas
- Lead and design engagement actions with civil society
- Ensure timely production and submission of project progress reports
- Prepare the organization of project board meetings, project staff meetings, project reviews and/or evaluation meetings
- Follow-up on the implementation of project board decisions and recommendation
- Perform other duties as required.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management Competencies
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
External Relations & Advocacy
- Advocacy strategy and implementation Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
- Strategic engagement: Ability to capture and sustain attention, interest and agreement of high-level, influential policy and decision makers and secure their buy-in of high-level vision and objectives
Business Direction & Strategy
- Strategic thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Law or Political Science OR a bachelor’s degree in the related fields with additional 2 years of work experience
- Master’s degree with 7 years of relevant work experience OR Bachelor's degree with 9 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate and formulate project strategic actions and to oversee implementation in accordance with project document
- Ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities and to design and implement capacity building actions
- Computer proficiency, including working knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint),
- Demonstrated experience of work in elections, democracy, governance or human rights
- Demonstrated experience with UN (regional, international or bilateral organizations) is an advantage.
- Demonstrated work experiences in working, liaising and collaborating with government representatives, civil society organizations.
- Full working knowledge of English, including excellent drafting and presentation skills
- Pidgin is desired
Note: This position is open to Solomon Islands nationals only
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: