Director - Legal Affairs And External Relations Division
Under the overall supervision of the Secretary-General, the incumbent will:
1. Formulate and coordinate the substantive works' programme of the Division.
2. Lead and guide the activities of the Division on various complex and topical subjects of international maritime law and treaty law requiring a multidisciplinary approach and understanding of policy implications.
3. Oversee and guide the development of approaches, mechanisms, tools and guidelines for the enhancement of the Organization's legal and external relations work, taking account of the objectives of the IMO's Strategic Plan.
4. Lead the provision of legal advice on a wide range of issues regarding public international law, private and public international maritime law, treaty law, the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, IMO treaty and non treaty instruments, IMO Staff Regulations and Staff Rules as well as law of contract and torts and any other legal issues that may arise.
5. Lead and represent the IMO in cases before the UN Appeals Tribunal. Advise the Secretary-General on all matters related to the internal justice system of IMO.
6. Guide and manage the depositary functions of the Organization.
7. Carry out the duties of Secretary to the Legal Committee; guide and manage the drafting and preparation of meeting documents, briefs and reports for the Legal Committee and other IMO organs, and provide first line support to the Secretary General in his capacity as Secretary of the Council and the Assembly.
8. Lead and coordinate the Organization's accreditation, events, functions, inter-agency and protocol-related activities through implementation of tasks, providing guidance and assistance to Governments, inter and non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders.
9. Guide and manage the Organization's Public Information Services, including the drafting and preparation of strategies and materials for outreach activities, including new media.
10. Guide and manage the activities and continuous development of the Organization’s Maritime Knowledge Centre.
11. Leadership of the human and financial resources assigned to the Division in an effective and efficient manner. In alignment of the strategic guidance and vision, manage the recruitment of staff, their work and performance and performance. Manage Divisional budgets in line with the results-based budgetary mechanism of the Organization.
12. Promote collaboration with all IMO Divisions of the IMO Secretariat and all external stakeholders engaged in the Organization’s legal and external relations work.
13. Represent the Organization at meetings with external stakeholders concerning legal and external relations activities.
14. Perform other related duties as may be required.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: