IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Information Technology Division (CSI) is responsible for all IT activities within the Organization. CSI performs on behalf of the Organization the following critical roles: defining FAO IT policies and providing strategic advice on IT architecture and standards, governance, policy and operational matters while monitoring organizational compliance; defining the mechanisms for managing FAO's information and data; protecting FAO's information assets and ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability; ensuring provision of IT services that are core for the Organization's global operations and supporting the information and business processes; coordinating organization-wide IT activities in order to reduce duplication and fragmentation and to increase integration of information data, systems and platforms, mobilizing IT resources from across the Organization.
Fighting against hunger requires the best and most innovative software developers, committed to change the world for the most vulnerable people. The consultant has to be comfortable working under high pressure in a rapid-changing environment, being a self-learner and independent person. Reporting Lines The Software Developer reports to a software development technical team leader under the overall direction of the Senior Software Development Officer.
The Dashboard Developer reports to the Senior Information technology Officers.
In order to set up dashboards with needed back and front end functionality, the Dashboard Developer will complete the full spectrum of duties:
• Developing and supporting dashboards, data visualisation and analytic applications using Tableau.
• Developing, documenting and supporting reusable data visualisation components and widgets.
• Master data management in Tableau and data documentation (metadata).
• Data identification, retrieval, processing, cleansing, modelling and publication (manual and automated) for dashboards.
• Data integration with Tableau including live feeds/federated data.
• Design effective visualizations of analytics with good story line.
• User guide, technical documentation and training.
• Communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Dashboard Developer will perform the following duties:
• Participate in an agile multi-disciplinary team that delivers real solutions of data visulization in short time.
• Prepare data for dashboards including data-modelling and necessary data cleansing.
• Develop publication quality comprehensive and interoperable dashboards registered and with compliant metadata.
• Maintain and update the published dashboards.
• Mainstream dashboarding best practices and innovative techniques.
• Identify core and most suitable data and surrogates.
• Review data quality and methodological approaches.
• Build dashboarding and widget models.
• Prepare evidence-based reports to support dashboarding analysis.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• For Consultants:
- University degree in Computer Science, Information systems, Monitoring and Evaluation methods, IT engineering or Professional Software Engineering, Data Science.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• For PSA:
- University Degree or equivalent technical experience in the subject.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strong knowledge of data-related end-user applications (e.g. Excel, Google Sheets)
• Alternative dashboarding, data visualisation and reporting tools and products.
• GIS and geospatial tools and techniques.
• Programming in Python and/or R
• Familiarity with the Google Cloud Platform.
• Statistics and statistical skills.
• Web development experience.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Self-learner and independent
• Demonstrable ability to implement solutions to complex problems in front end, back end and mobile platforms.
• Experience in the profiles of software developer, project lead or project support.
• Deep knowledge and skill in programming techniques, technologies and frameworks
• Experience in designing mobile & cloud first architectures
• Familiarity with defensive and secure programming techniques
• Knowledge of internet and web protocols and standards.
• Desirable knowledge of software development best practices including version and release management, continuous test, integration and delivery.
• Knowledge in test-driven development, agile methodologies, cloud architectures, APIs and/or DevOps; is desirable and could be a key differentiator.
• Ability to advise decision-makers on project management, financials and administrative issues.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: