Quality Assurance Officer (P-3)
- Organization: CTBTO - Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
- Location: Vienna
- Grade: Mid level - P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Education, Learning and Training
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Internal audit, Investigation and Inspection
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supply Chain
- Ombudsman and Ethics
- Closing Date: Closed
|Division:||International Data Centre Division|
|Section:||Automatic Processing Systems Section|
|Type of Appointment:||Short Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||20 December 2022|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the International Data Centre (IDC) Division that collects, processes and analyses monitoring data originating from the facilities of the International monitoring System (IMS). These are based on four different sensor technologies (seismic, hydroacoustic, infrasound and radionuclide).
The Automatic Processing Systems Section, International Data Centre Division is responsible for the sustainable development and maintenance of IDC processing pipeline.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Automatic Processing Systems Section, International Data Centre Division, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in planning sessions for software services and systems releases;
- Review software requirements of above services and systems and ensure their completeness and consistency;
- Create a set of tests based on requirements and develop configurations that are necessary for testing;
- Perform pre-planned tests and comparative analysis of old and new software generations, describe and document the identified errors, and steps for reproducing (or fixing) these;
- Collect logs and syslog records for old and new software generations (including GCI monitoring) to a central location for processing, correlation analysis, alerting and visualization (Elasticsearch);
- Support IDC during the acceptance testing of upgraded software (acquisition, processing, and dissemination) and hardware features of new systems and their delivery into operations;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree in information systems management or a related field with emphasis on scientific software management and development;
- At least five (5) years of recent professional experience developing and testing software to process large volumes of data on UNIX and Linux systems.
Work Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge of internet protocols is essential;
- Experience with developing software processing waveform data for nuclear explosion monitoring applications is an asset;
- Knowledge of Python, SQL/NoSQL, and shell scripting (csh/bash) is a requirement; quality analytics skills is an asset;
- Experience with IDC and NDC-IN-BOX systems and software is desirable;
- Experience with end-to-end data analytics pipelines is an asset;
- Knowledge of the verification regime and GCI/IDC infrastructure is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish).
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Team work - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
Short Term Appointments shall initially be made under a contract for a period not to exceed 364 days, subject to the successful completion of the probation period set forth in the Letter of Appointment.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: