National Programme Officer- Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Office, the Programme Officer contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the Timor-Leste Office by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation in the area of Women’s Economic Empowerment. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he identified needs for further capacity development of partners, and supports capacity development. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under the WEE portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions and key results expected
Summary of key functions:
- Programme Development and Management
- Inter-agency Coordination Support
- Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization Support
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to programme partners
- Advocacy support and Knowledge building and management
1) Programme Development and Management
- Contributes to the identification of key economic security and rights issues and challenges for women in Timor-Leste. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to policy goals, leading to the formulation of substantive policy advice.
- Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies related to women’s economic empowerment (WEE), analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Participates in the design and formulation of WEE programme initiatives translating UNW’s priorities into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches.
- Helps ensure quality of programme/projects design and implementation incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
- Expedites and coordinates programmes/projects implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs.
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results
- Conducts field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities related to WEE.
2) Inter-Agency Coordination Support
- Provides substantive support to the UN Women Head of Office on inter-agency coordination related activities.
- Takes part in country level UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process.
- Prepares substantive inputs to UNSDCF review/ monitoring and other documents including analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region.
- Under guidance prepares analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences in support of UN Women’s inter-agency coordination role.
- Participate as focal point from UN Women to UNSDCF Result 2 Thematic Group on Sustainable Economic Opportunities and Decent Work For All.
3) Strategic partnerships building and resource mobilization Support
- Supports strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies, analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors
- Helps create and coordinate partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Analyses and researches information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Follows up on resource mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Head of Office.
- Representing UN Women as a focal point to the WEE Programme strategic partners.
4) Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to programme partners
- Provide partners with technical assistance, training and capacity development support on WEE as needed.
- Support development of policies and institutional capacity that will address economic development problems and needs in collaboration with the Government, civil society organizations and other strategic partners.
- Provide active participation and contribution of UN Women perspectives to relevant conferences, fora and meetings addressing women’s economic security and rights, inclusive growth and government accountability issues.
5) Supports the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks.
- Proactively and substantively supports and implements relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the programme; responding to emerging challenges;
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of pract
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Required Skills and Experience
V. Recruitment Qualifications
Master’s Degree (or Bachelor with 4 year of experience) in Economics, Gender studies, Human Rights Social Sciences or related field.
Master degree with 2 years of relevant experience or Bachelor degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience at in at the national or international level working with development projects including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, preferably in the field of Women’s Economic Empowerment, rural development, agriculture, gender or human rights of women.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of official national language essential.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: