Gender and Social Inclusion Lead, Global Wheat Program
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position of Gender and Social Inclusion Lead, to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s headquarters in Texcoco, 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Lead research to describe the opportunities and challenges to accelerate the uptake of improved wheat varieties by women farmers and marginalized communities.
- Design and test innovative methods for improving access to and use of improved wheat varieties by women farmers and marginalized communities.
- Support ongoing research by members of CIMMYT’s Cereal Seed Systems Team that looks to improve and guide the design of socially inclusive development programming related to the role of wheat in agri-food systems.
- Engage colleagues in wheat improvement (CIMMYT, NARES, private sector partners) on why and how to integrate a stronger gender perspective into the wheat breeding design, variety testing, and seed systems programming.
- Contribute to the research and promotion of gender transformative approaches in R4D related to wheat and agri-food systems development, including institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening.
- Contribute to resource mobilization to accelerate and expand the contribution of wheat in agri-food systems development in key regions.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals, as well as for local partners in the form of briefs and booklets.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in social sciences, e.g., sociology, rural development, gender studies, economics, or related fields from a recognized university, with at least 5 years experience following Ph.D. working in the research-for-development space.
- Commitment to actively engage with peers across disciplines on the design, implementation and publication of cutting-edge applied research related to social inclusion, breeding prioritization, and seed systems development.
- Strong background in the design of research related to gender and social inclusion, with demonstrated capacity to publish insightful research in peer-reviewed journals.
- Knowledge, interest, and/or awareness of crop breeding and seed systems development; experience in a developing-country environment will be an advantage.
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, with a keen interest in and experience with mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative).
- Proven interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including the ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with colleagues and partners, including those from the private sector.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including strategic thinking and the ability to present coherent and convincing analyses to different audiences.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving, and Decision-Making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22175_Gender and Social Inclusion Lead, GWP.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Friday, January 27th, 2023. Applications must include a CV, with contact details (telephone and email address) of 3 work-related references along with the confirmation that we can contact them) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: