- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power. Given the disparity faced by women and girls, IRC seeks to narrow gender inequalities and ensure social inclusion of all vulnerable groups in broader policies, processes and actions affecting their lives.
Under the supervision of the Senior Legal Protection & Rule of Law (PRoL) Officer, the individual will provide legal information, legal counselling and legal assistance activities with IRC in Kharkiv region, Ukraine. The Legal Officer will be based at IRC’s office in Kharkiv city, under supervision of the Sr Legal officer based in Dnipro. The Legal Officer will serve as a key person to implement legal assistance activities along the displacement, settled, and returnee routes in newly accessible areas and provide evidence base to inform needs of affected population for program adjustment and advocacy. The Legal Officer will provide legal services both at any established IRC service provision sites and through mobile teams. They will also contribute to the general understanding of the legal context in Ukraine, as the situation and needs evolve, providing regular updates and information to the Senior Legal Officer and contributing to reporting and documentation of service provision.
1. Major Responsibilities:
- With the support and supervision of the Sr Legal Officer, create information content that responds to the legal needs of conflict-affected population, and provide information, either at communal shelters or other static centers (such as cash registration points) and through mobile teams;
- Work closely with IRC partners in order to support and guide the implementation of legal information, counselling and assistance;
- Provide individual legal counselling to individuals in need of legal assistance, either at communal shelters or other static centers (such as cash registration points) and through mobile teams;
- Provide secondary legal aid, including through close cooperation with the Free Legal Aid Centers and other partners, in order to provide legal assistance to those ineligible for free legal aid, but who cannot afford to access legal aid with their own means;
- Ensure continuous update of the service map in Kharkiv oblast on legal actors and services;
- Ensure referrals are made and received in a safe way and according to the IRC’s legal service SOPs, and ensure referrals received are followed up and that the referral tracker is updated;
- Regularly update the reporting tools with the number of individuals reached through information sessions, counselling sessions, and legal case management;
- Support the Sr Legal Officer and PRoL Manager in reporting and data analysis related to legal needs in the area of operation and any new local developments;
- Consistently look for contacts within authorities and key humanitarian stakeholders and update the contact trackers to enable strong collaboration with local authorities and service providers;
- Contribute to the weekly movement plans for locations for legal activities on a weekly basis and engage with support and security teams to ensure updated risk analysis and operational coordination;
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position reports to: Sr. Legal Officer (Dnipro)
Direct reporting: N/A
Internal collaboration: PRoL Managers, Sr. Protection Monitoring Officers, PRoL case workers, PRoL community mobilizers, WPE case workers, CP case workers, Field Coordinators, Operations teams (including procurement, finance, HR, security, and supply chain)
The Legal Officer will need to meet the requirements below:
Language: Bilingual in Ukrainian and Russian, with good verbal and writing skills in English preferred
- Preferred —valid Attorney’s License (registered at the Bar Association)
- Previous experience in Legal information, counselling and assistance, preferably with an NGO
- Experience facilitating group activities, trainings and workshops and mentoring others
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients/beneficiaries
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to lead and work well in a team setting
- High degree of flexibility and strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Excel, with ability to work with data entry using software on tablets
This position will be based in Kharkiv with travel to other IRC sites (primarily Dnipro) for monitoring and coordination purposes as necessary.
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.