Economic Recovery Specialist
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Caracas
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date: Closed
Danish Refugee Council is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, working in more than 40 countries to provide adequate assistance with a rights-based approach to refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons, returnees and migrants. DRC is currently looking for a highly qualified Spanish and English-speaking Economic Recovery Specialist for his country office in Venezuela. This is an opportunity for an experienced professional to support DRC’s emergency response in Venezuela.
DRC established operational presence in Venezuela in 2019 to meet the urgent needs of internally displaced people and vulnerable host communities. DRC is currently scaling up its response in Venezuela through an integrated programming. Primarily based on protection activities (protection monitoring, individual protection assistance, community-based protection, prevention and response to Gender Based Violence (GBV), legal assistance and case management), the response also includes growing components of Economic Recovery, with current food security (including support to small scale agriculture) and livelihoods activities (employability, T-VET). DRC is currently active in Apure, Zulia and Sucre, both through direct and indirect implementation, with a strong capacity-building component.
A specific focus for the Economic Recovery Specialist will be related to strengthening good practices among the support of food security and livelihoods and developing DRC’s livelihoods activities, including agriculture, in a challenging context. A secondary focus for the Economic Recovery Specialist will be to support the development of integrated programming with DRC’s Protection activities.
The Economic Recovery Specialist reports to the Head of Program and works in close collaboration with the Country Office Coordinators, field food security and livelihood teams, and Area Managers, including across DRC’s core sectors, such as Environment and Climate Adaptation and Protection, as well as DRC’s platforms Emergency, Root Causes and Durable Solutions.
Programmatic and strategic development
-Lead and coordinate the strategic and operational implementation of the Economic Recovery sector in the country.
-Support the development of proposals and ongoing update of the Economic Recovery strategy with regular context analysis and monitoring of programmatic and collaborative and partnership opportunities
-Lead and guide teams in the development and implementation of needs assessments by the sector
-Support advocacy initiatives led by the program team, with contextual and technical expertise
-Ensure quality and compliance with minimum standards in the implementation of Economic Recovery activities: cash transfer, entrepreneurship, employability, financial inclusion
-Ensure coherence in the implementation and development of all projects in line with the sectoral strategy
-Oversee the efficient implementation of projects in accordance with work plans and financial execution forecasts
-Develop work guidelines for economic recovery activities
-Support in the preparation of project and sectoral reports
-Participate in the launching, review and closing meetings of projects with Economic Recovery component
-Ensure technical support to specialists and technical managers in the national office and territorial offices
-Support the design and development of projects, work plans and budgets.
-In collaboration with the MEAL team, assist in the development of tools and strategies for monitoring, evaluation and systematization of learning.
-Develop capacity building plans for field teams.
-In collaboration with program field teams and base managers, monitor the effective implementation, as well as the budgetary and efficient execution of program activities.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external stakeholders, including agencies and technical experts
- Represent DRC in national coordination forums and when necessary with donors.
- Ensure integration of economic recovery activities with the DRC protection sector
- Coordinate with global and regional sector focal points for the development and strategic positioning of the sector in Venezuela.
- Actively participate in internal coordination spaces
Roles reporting to this position
No direct reports
Head of Programme
Experience and technical competencies:
- 3-5 years of experience with international humanitarian or development assistance organizations with a programmatic focus on economic recovery in the context of conflict and/or displacement.
- Practical experience and up-to-date knowledge of:
- Concepts, methodologies and forms of effective livelihood support in relation to key DRC activities: food security including agriculture (food baskets, home gardens), employability, income generation and entrepreneurship support, technical and interpersonal capacity building and accompaniment, etc.
- Current trends in the area of economic recovery: building self-sufficiency, graduation approach, private and public partnerships, and innovative approaches.
- Concepts, evaluation methodologies and design of cash transfer programs.
- Market assessment and analysis, ability to support the development of market-based programs.
- Experience with providing direct and remote technical support to operational teams
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement theories of change, strategic focus
- Knowledge of program management cycle and impact evaluation and monitoring methodologies for economic recovery activities
- Knowledge and/or experience in developing and implementing integrated programming with protection-oriented activities
- Demonstrated capacity in capacity building, development of training material, facilitation of workshops and trainings
- Experience working in complex institutional contexts and building relationships and collaborations with a variety of government, civic and private actors
- Ability for critical analysis and strategic thinking
- Excellent communication, representation and coordination skills
- Excellent writing skills in English and Spanish
- Prior knowledge and experience in the Venezuelan or Latin American context (preferred)
- University Degree in Social Sciences, International Development or relevant fields.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Designation of Duty Station: Caracas
- Start date: 1 February 2023 / Please indicate in your application your availability
- Contact Length: 6 months renewable depending on funding and performance;
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for expatriate/National staff. Level: G – non manager.
Application process: Applications must be submitted through this page by clicking Apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four 4 pages) in English. No application sent by email will be accepted. For information about the position, please contact DRC Venezuela Head of Programme Alice RIBES – firstname.lastname@example.org – or DRC Venezuela HR Officer Jesus Barreto – email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 28 February 2023. Please note that the applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: