Regional Evaluation Specialist for Africa
Home Based - May require travel
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
Following the recommendation of the Evaluation of the Evaluation Function (2016) to explore decentralization of evaluation, a move towards decentralizing evaluations started in January 2019, with the decentralization of all project mid-term evaluations. In May 2020, the FAO Programme Committee approved a proposal submitted by OED on “Enhancing the use of evaluation for learning in FAO at regional and country levels through decentralized evaluation”.
Starting June 2021, concentrated efforts for decentralization were launched, with OED preparing a series of measures to support successful implementation. Within OED, a dedicated group of staff has formed a Decentralization Support Team to provide individual support to each evaluation process. In addition, OED will developped materials, guidance, and manuals as well as further develop and sustain capacity development efforts.
One additional measure to assist in the management and support of decentralization was the recruitment of Regional Evaluation Specialists (RES) to be stationed in each of FAO’s five regional offices. RES are responsible for managing the final project evaluations in the region, according to an evaluation plan developed in consultation with country offices of the Region and shared in advance by OED. They are also responsible for ensuring dissemination of the results of the evaluation, and creating learning opportunities at regional and country level, based on evaluation results, in close cooperation with the regional field programme and knowledge management teams.
Given the growing portfolio of project evalautions to be conducted in the Africa Region during 2023 and the strengthening of the regional evaluation network at country level, OED is looking for a second Regional Evaluation Specialist to support tasks and responsabilities in the region.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the OED Evaluation Officer responsible for project evaluations in Africa region.
Project evaluations, communication and utilization of evaluations.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Review and agree with OED over evaluation plans and agreed timelines for the completion of assigned decentralized evaluations in the region
• Liaise with relevant country offices on the process, timelines, and completion of each evaluation
• Report to the regional senior management team and OED on the implementation of the evaluation plan and alert them in case of timing issues
• Review relevant background documentation and liaise with project key informants to develop evaluation ToRs, including evaluation design and methodology.
• Identify the evaluation team and launch their recruitment, in line with FAO processes and procedures.
• Contribute, as necessary, to the preparation of data collection tools, including the evaluation matrix, questionnaires, check-lists and interview protocols as appropriate; and/or revise their quality.
• Apply OED evaluation guidance and standards, and seek QA support from OED
• Ensure the collection of primary and secondary data by the evaluation team through, inter alia, interviews and meetings, face to face or virtual, with FAO concerned officers during the country visits, with key stakeholders including the Government, the FAO Representation, external partners, project teams and ultimate beneficiaries as appropriate
• Review and quality check deliverables of the evaluation team, including inception report, draft and final evaluation report
• Ensure budget and needed resources availability
• Ensure evaluation is credible and absent from any conflict of interest
• Complete evaluation on time and disseminate
• Oversee the completion of management response and dissemination of report
• Identify, along with country office evaluation focal points and regional office representatives, opportunities for communication and dissemination of relevant evaluation results, in coordination with the programme, strategic analysis and knowledge management teams
• Organize communication and knowledge sharing events in the region to promote use of evaluation results, in collaboration with the regional knowledge management teams
• Gather information on main lessons and recommendations for different topics, and share them with all concerned stakeholders, either through webinars or specific presentations
• Contribute to the development and dissemination of capacity building activities for evaluation focal points and other FAO actors involved in evaluation processes in the region
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in Economics, Agriculture, Social Sciences, Rural Development or a related field
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in in conducting and managing evaluations at the global, regional or country levels
• Relevant work experience in the Africa region would be an asset
• Working knowledge of English and French (level C1)
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
• Extent and relevance of experience in designing, planning, leading and conducting development evaluations.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing evaluation processes and creating opportunities for increasing the use of their results.
• Sound understanding of the functioning of UN agencies and the UN system is considered a strong asset.
• Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate evaluation results to various types of audiences
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: