Communications Officer NOA - Berlin, Germany
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
5th of February, 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Communications, Advocacy and Marketing (CAM) team in Berlin positions WFP in the German-speaking public sphere in line with the organizations values and priorities. Focusing on key opinion leaders, CAM conceptualizes and implements activities that help shaping the image of WFP as the leading humanitarian organization tackling hunger and climate change. These activities leverage the experience of WFP as a trusted, field-based organization while ultimately contributing to a favorable funding environment.
Reporting to the Head of the CAM team, the incumbent will be part of the small CAM team and support all activities that help to publicly position WFP in the German-speaking market with quality content and information. The incumbent is expected to develop communication products and support media activities both as a self-starter and as part of the Berlin team.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/ courses.
Experience and Competencies:
- At least one year of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a proven track record in communications.
- Knowledge of the political environment in Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein is required.
- Ability to structure and implement own ideas in a team environment.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and to meet short deadlines.
- Fluency in oral and written German and English is a must (mother tongue or CEFR level C2) and strong writing skills are required.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist the spokesperson and/or Head of Office with the research of background information, media pitches, and preparation of talking points, briefings, or presentations to ensure adequate and timely responses to media and further external queries.
- Support research relevant to WFP's work, gather data from academic publications, compile information and write overviews for the BER Head of CAM and Director.
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFPs work.
- Support the preparation, creation and translation of publications/content for external distribution to the German-speaking audience. This includes factsheets, brochures, and multimedia products for external distribution to the public, the media, educational institutions and non-governmental agencies.
- Support BERs internal communications strategy.
- Support the management of the German-speaking social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Monitor statistics and respond to queries received through social media.
- Write articles or translate content for the German WFP website and blog.
- Manage relationship with BER Goodwill Ambassador and serve as focal point for celebrity partnerships - Identify new celebrity supporters and potential Goodwill Ambassadors, build collaborations, and create advocacy plans.
- Support WFP’s presentation and implementation at public events.
- Perform other duties as required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is open to German nationals only.
You will be appointed on a National fixed-term (1-year renewable) contract. Remuneration is in line with the UN salary scale for National Officers (see: https://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/rok.htm). Medical insurance is provided to UN Staff and dependents (incl. spouse, child(ren). Your package includes attractive leave entitlements, including 30 annual leave days per year and family leave options.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: