Food control specialist(s)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The consultancy/PSA is offered within the Food Systems and Food Safety Division (ESF), Economic and Social Development Stream. The Division supports a coordinated approach to the development of food systems, including inter alia, engagement in global level dialogue, platform and initiatives, the strengthening of food safety and quality at national, regional and international levels, the development of sustainable food value chains, reductions in food loss and waste and the implementation of the urban food agenda.
The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations and the European Union have ratified project GCP/GLO/949/EU “Strengthening food control and phytosanitary capacities and governance” which foresees, among other activities, the implementation of facilitated assessments of the national food control system in different a African countries, using the FAO/WHO food control system assessment tool. The objective of this project is to provide technical support to the operationalization of the African Union SPS policy framework for Africa, enabling rational planning for the strengthening of national food control systems based on a rigorous evidence-based assessment of the internationally recognized good practice in the design and management of national food control systems.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Food Safety Officer, and under the close technical supervision of the Food Safety Officer overseeing the country activities, and in close collaboration with the assessors and the national team in FAO, as well as the national authorities, the Food control specialist will undertake the following tasks:
The consultant/PSA will be responsible for supporting the assessors in the implementation of the assessments of the national food control system.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Prepare the draft country profile for assigned country using the template proposed by Food Systems and Food Safety division, FAO and following the guidance of the assessors;
• Assist in the organization of the inception workshop;
• Identify relevant stakeholders in the food chain (beside competent authorities) to be included in the inception workshop such as academia, consumer organizations, and private sector associations (e.g., Dairy / Meat / Poultry / Sugar products representatives, Importers/exporters associations...), providing support in the briefing stage so that relevant stakeholders are aware of the purpose of the inception workshop and will participate effectively;
• Provide support and participate in the inception workshop together with the assessors;
• Contribute to the draft report of the inception workshop to be developed by the assessors;
• As a follow up to the inception workshop, in close interaction with the assessors, make regular contact with the focal points (and/or relevant units) in the competent authorities involved in the assessment and clarify any question to ensure the collection of relevant data to be reported upon by the national authorities;
• Perform a first level review and validation of data submitted by CAs in the reporting tables and, with the assessor(s), follow up with competent authorities to clarify any point and seek further data as necessary;
• Support the elaboration of the schedule for the validation mission by the assessors and provide all necessary support to ensure smooth implementation of the validation mission;
• Review and provide feedback on the draft assessment report developed by the assessors;
• Coordinate the collection of feedback from competent authorities on the draft assessment report;
• Support the organization and implementation of the strategic planning workshop;
• Contribute to the final assessment and workshop report, incorporating the findings of the final workshop.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in food technology, food science, food safety and quality, nutrition, veterinary, public health or related fields.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in food control, food safety and quality, food science and research, or related areas with working knowledge of food safety and food control concepts.
• Working knowledge (level C) of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for consultants). Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian (for PSAs).
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency