Finance Assistant, G5, Dakar
👉 Vacancy Announcement n°: 268845
📢 Job Title: Finance Assistant, G5, Dakar
📌Type of Contract: Fixed term
⭐ Grade: G5
✅ Unit / Division: Finance
⚡ Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal (Regional Bureau for Western Africa)
✨ Duration: One year (Renewable subject to satisfactory probation and/or availability of funds).
⏰ Closing date: 22 January 2023
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. To learn more about WFP, visit our website and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Western Africa covers a region that extends from Mauritania to Chad and along the coast from Cameroon to Senegal. It consists of 19 countries; The West Africa Regional Bureau (RBD) is based in Dakar and provides strategic guidance, technical support, and direction to country operations in these countries.
RBD Finance provides financial services to Regional Bureau that includes disbursements to staff and thirty party vendors, management of financial resources, financial reporting, and technical guidance to spending units. Further, RBD Finance support to Country Offices in the region by providing technical guidance, monitor financial dashboard items, CO financial risks and ensure adherence to financial rules and regulations.
To support effective delivery of finance, budget, and administration support services in order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
Under the direct supervision of Finance Officer, the incumbent would have below key responsibilities:
- Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making.
- Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
- Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
- Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance, and statistics.
- Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
- Perform administrative duties related to the monitoring and recording of fixed assets, spend on fuel and spare parts for vehicles and generators, to ensure that the databases are accurately updated.
- Maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
- Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
First university degree (Bachelor's degree equivalent, BAC +3), recognized by https://www.whed.net/home.php) A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or other relevant field OR completion of secondary school with progressive job experience. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Should you not find your university degree in this link kindly note that it will be your responsibility to obtain a formal letter from your Ministry of Education stating their recognition of the university and degree
Five (5) or more years of progressively responsible work experience in Accounts Payables or Treasury, Cash Management, or other function relevant to accounts and finance in a busy environment.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Internal Controls & Compliance: Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to WFP's critical activities.
- Financial Mgmt. & Accounting Principles: Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures, and accounting standards.
- Performance Budgeting, Analysis & Reporting: Demonstrates participation in business planning efforts by developing basic project-level budgets and forecasts, incorporating information from various sources as appropriate to monitor KPIs
Fluency (level C in reading, writing and speaking) in English and French.
Deadline for application: 22 January 2023
WFP Value Proposition
- Meaningful and impactful careers - Our day-to-day work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve.
- Continuous learning and training - We provide learning tools for our staff to continually develop their careers.
- Multicultural and stimulating working environment - We encourage gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger.
Before you apply...
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
All employment decisions are made based on organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Special notice on office relocation: WFP and other UN Agencies will be moving to the new United Nations House, presently under construction in Diamniadio, 30 kilometers from downtown Dakar approximately around mid-2023. The duty station will remain in Dakar, Senegal.
Before you apply, please confirm that both (i) your on-line profile and CV are accurate and up to date, (ii) your CV should include your employment history, academic qualifications, and language skills.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: