Communications Officer NOA - Beijing, China
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
January, 29th, 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is based in Beijing. The jobholder will work under the general supervision of the Country Director of WFP China, and the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of WFP China. The incumbent will also work closely with the global Communications, Advocacy & Marketing Unit at WFP Headquarters in Rome and build strong relationships with the WFP network of communications officers around the globe, and with communications focal points and other partners inside the various institutions.
The jobholder will maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, and support Country Strategic Plan to implement WFP’s corporate visibility strategy within the context.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Implement the communication work plan to promote the visibility and reputation of WFP, in line with overall communications and WFP strategies.
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
- Manage the effective relationships with key media outlets and disseminate the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to enhance media outreach through facilitating interviews with senior management, pitching stories and handling incoming media queries.
- Develop and produce communication materials, including briefing materials, press releases and articles, and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels.
- Launch digital communications and advocacy campaigns reflecting corporate priorities to generate increased visibility and grow supporter base.
- Oversee WFP China official social media accounts. Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilising platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP activities in general.
- Disseminate and provide insight on the generation of visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms and offline events, in order to adhere to WFP visibility guidelines while ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Monitor traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies concerning WFP China visibility.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports, support communications activities that enable informed decision making and assist on verifying consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
- Support the communications function’s capacity building of WFP staff on proposing (bidding for contracts) and implementing visibility work, providing advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to assist staff in ensuring that all activities meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact.
- Liaise and interact with WFP staff and external counterparts to support aligned activities and a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, provide support with more complex analysis and queries.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience (especially in running digital campaigns and social media management).
Knowledge & Skills
- Proven experience dealing with visibility-related communications work.
- Experience in planning, gathering, and producing tailored multimedia content.
- Experience in working with external agencies to produce visibility content.
- Excellent written & verbal communication in English.
- Content creation skills (video, audio, graphic design).
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Chinese.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is open to Chinese nationals only.
You will be appointed on a National fixed-term (1-year renewable) contract. Remuneration is in line with the UN salary scale for National Officers (see: https://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/rok.htm). Medical insurance is provided to UN Staff and dependents (incl. spouse, child(ren). Your package includes attractive leave entitlements, including 30 annual leave days per year and family leave options.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: