Global Innovation Facilitator
Does innovation speak to you?
Would you like to contribute to NRC mission by putting to good use your forward-thinking?
Innovation is one of four core values in NRC. Over the years, NRC has invested in different ways to foster innovation in the organisation. Amongst other things an internal innovation fund has been established, an innovation service has been put in place at the global level to help teams innovate.
NRC is looking to take the next steps in our journey towards a true culture of innovation which should result in innovations that generate positive change for displaced people around the world. In addition, in 2022, NRC was awarded the Conrad Hilton humanitarian prize, and as a commitment to further advance our work and meet the needs of people displaced, we are strengthening our efforts on finding tangible ways to assist displaced and vulnerable people during crisis, including through strengthening and relaunching the NRC Innovation Fund.
NRC Innovation Fund helps support and promote innovation in the organization that can translate into tangible ways to assist displaced and vulnerable people during crisis, and aims to:
- Support teams to develop and test services, tools and/or solutions to challenges faced by staff or affected people
- Constantly improve the solutions and services we provide to people displaced
- Strengthen capacity of teams to attract funding from innovation donors and private sector
- Foster an innovation culture in NR
The Innovation Service and Fund is situated in NRCs Field Operations’ department which has overall global responsibilities for: a) global programme development and policy setting, b) preparedness and emergency response capacity, c) monitoring, assessment and start-up of new emergency programmes/ country operations, d) strategic and operational direction on security risk management and crisis management and e) strategic development and oversight of regions.
The role and responsibilities
To lead and facilitate our work, we are seeking an individual passionate about innovation with strong business acumen to be applied the humanitarian sector.
If you have extensive experience with design and delivery of structured innovative processes, and if you are a talented communicator that can facilitate change in an engaging way and inspire others through the journey from problem to solution finding, we want to hear from you!
Co-creation and collaboration is critical for us, and if you also have experience in either people centered design, scrum, design thinking, google design or Kanban your experience is something we want.
The priorities for the new Global Innovation Facilitator will be:
- Lead and further develop the Innovation Service in NRC including setting its direction and effective functioning across the Innovation Fund, knowledge management and innovation assistance. Advising management on yearly, medium-term, long-term, and future innovation goals.
- Responsible for coordinating and providing support to innovative programming across the organisation, with a particular focus on area, country and regional level opportunities. Working collaboratively with sector and technical experts to develop and share technical expertise on managing and delivering humanitarian innovation.
- Support innovation projects through accompaniment and coaching and capacity building depending on the project needs and stage in the innovation process, to help identify broker relationships and unblock challenges.
- Facilitate the implementation and use of the NRC Innovation Fund and other potential funding sources, through identification of promising ideas and projects also in collaboration with technical experts, awarding funding and coach and support teams developing the ideas, enabling them to achieve its maximum impact.
- Responsible for ensuring that new approaches are conceptualised and tested based on promising practice in NRC. Identifying innovation trends and business opportunities within the market and presenting ideas and approaches to various stakeholders internal and external.
- Responsible for fostering effective partnerships and resource mobilisation for promising projects and providing the organisation with the necessary documentation and arguments to help the innovation efforts.
- Meeting with stakeholders at different levels to identify areas of innovation and growth, and responsible for exploring possible collaboration opportunities with other actors (humanitarian, private sector, academia, corporation and donors etc).
- Responsible for knowledge management and documenting results and what works and share learning: responsible for documenting practices, processes and tools/resources used to support innovation in NRC, and report on progress of innovation efforts across NRC, reporting on and adapting innovative interventions.
We are looking for someone with passion and capacity to lead change but also great at interacting with NRC teams seating all around the world!
In addition, preferably you have:
- University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably at master degree level
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience, with at least 3-5 years at manager/adviser level.
- Documented results in project management.
- Experience with driving organisational change processes and developing practical tools and resources to see changes through
- Experience from working in the humanitarian sector, ideally in complex and volatile contexts.
- Experience with engaging with key humanitarian stakeholders is an asset
- Ability to represent the organisation at a strategic level and contribute to innovation development with key stakeholders internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. French, Arabic or Spanish is an asset.
- Knowledge of theories and practices either around people centred design, scrum, design thinking, Kanban or google design, systems thinking, design processes, foresight, , business modelling, agile is positive.
- Behavioural competencies
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Working with people
- Coping with change
- Empowering and building trust
- Driving process
Find more info about this role here!
What we offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- 24 months contract-possible renewal based on funding
- Grade 10 on NRC salary scale
- Location: Head Office, Regional or Country Offices
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Deadline to apply: 2/02/2023
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site.