Programme Specialist - Energy and Climate Change (NPSA10)
UNDP has been cooperating closely with key ministries and institutions, including Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT), Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), Ministry of Health (MOH), research institutions, universities, and sub-national authorities to introduce policy framework, scale up best practices and pilot innovative actions at localities and with businesses, in the areas of climate change mitigation, sustainable energy transition, and low carbon development.
To address climate change, the Government of Viet Nam developed a series of national strategies, and action plans on climate change, green growth, and low-carbon sustainable development since the early 2010s. Currently, many of the plans and strategies are under revision or being updated for the period 2021-2025 and 2021-2030.Viet Nam submitted its Updated Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to the UNFCCC in November 2022. Currently the draft national power development plan for the period of 2021-2030, with a vision to 2045 (PDP8) is being developed. Viet Nam’s Prime Minister approved the National Green Growth Strategy (GGS) 2021-2030, vision to 2050 (Decision 1658/QD-TTg dated October 1, 2021) and the National Climate Change Strategy (NCCS) in July 2022, which is fully inligned with Net Zero Emission target by 2025.
At COP26 in Glasgow, the Prime Minister for the first-time mentioned Viet Nam´s ambition to pursue net-zero GHG emissions by 2050. Viet Nam also joined important pledges on moving from coal to clean energy, methane emissions reduction, and halt and reverse deforestation by 2030. Energy transition requires an all-government approach to reducing CO2 emissions from fossil fuel consumption in all sectors, especially industry, transport, construction and buildings, as well as agriculture and fisheries.
Under the supervision of Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) / Head of Climate Change and Environment, the Programme Specialist is responsible for management, development and innovation of the energy and climate change portfolio of UNDP Viet Nam, including enhancing partnership with stakeholders and resource mobilization. The Programme Specialist will work closely with the Technical Advisors, Technical Specialists, support staff in Viet Nam, and relevant Regional Technical Advisor in Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH).
Summary of Key Functions:
- The Programme Specialist, Energy and Climate Change, has three main functions:
- Effective management and implementation of the energy and climate change portfolio
- Effective formulation and development of projects and resource mobilization
- Policy advocacy and programme development
- Enhance partnership and work closely and effectively with project partners/counterparts and development partners;
- Provide proper guidance to the project partners/counterparts for effective planning, management and implementation of projects to ensure timely implementation of activities and achievement of quality results; including timely preparation and approval of the projects’ and work-packages’ annual and quarterly quality work-plans;
- Effectively apply result-based management (RBM) tools in management; establishment of M&E and reporting framework, including managing targets and monitoring the progress to achieve results, performance indicators/ success criteria, and regular update of baselines, targets and milestones in the Project’s results resources frameworks, and coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercise, mid-year and mid-term reviews, and closure of the Project;
- Timely analyze situations arising during the implementation of the programme/project, financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the project, identification of operational and financial risks, development of solutions, in full compliance with Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) guidelines,
- Perform the functions of project manager in UNDP Management System (Quantum) as defined and participation in recruitment processes for projects;
- Participate in the recruitment of processes, as needed.
- Manage procurement processes, including of consultants.
- Exercise risk management, including timely implementation of mitigation measures, and updating risk log and integrated work plan (IWP) in the system;
- Facilitate project audits, spot-checks, interim project evaluation and follow-up on the implementation of recommendations;
- Ensure quality documentation of the project’s lessons learnt and best practices; quality publication of technical reports, policy briefs, and results;
- Ensure synergies and coherence between projects in Climate Change, Energy, transportation and Natural Resources and climate change adaptation portfoilios and other related projects and activities to bring about larger benefits and impacts of the UNDP’s Climate and Environment Programme in Viet Nam;
- Regular brief and timely report to supervisor on any exceptions to facilitate timely actions and informed decisions;
- Prepare regular aggregate reports on activities, outputs and outcomes, including technical progress to donors as required;
- Active participate and contribute to the UN/ UNDP’s regular reports on outputs and outcomes as well as outcome evaluations, under the framework of the UN Cooperation Framework and Plan.
- Implement the UNDP partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, focusing on project formulation to mobilize funds from various external resources and vertical funds;
- Analyse Vietnamese development context (political, economic, social, cultural and historical), government policies, priorities/programs, and the needs of support that would influence UNDP technical assistance in Viet Nam;
- Identify policy, capacity development needs and knowledge gaps in the Government counterparts and that of communities for designing interventions and support through appropriate projects and activities;
- Work closely with UNDP technical advisors and specialists in Viet Nam and in Regional Bangkok Hub to identify opportunities for project development and mobilize resources and ensure linkage between programmes and projects in Viet Nam and these at regional and global levels;
- Effectively coordinate, facilitate and support the formulation, appraisal and approval of UNDP concept notes and pipeline project proposals on climate change, energy and low carbon development ; This includes (i) liaising and coordinating with government counterparts and related stakeholders well-informed and engaged in the development processes; (ii) timely mobilization of technical inputs/experts to address information gaps for the formulation, appraisal and approval processes; (iii) preparing necessary documentations, reports and/or plans, as part of UNDP and donors’ requests, for submission and appraisal of pipeline projects; and collecting necessary data and information for the project formulation.
- Take the lead and coordinate the development and the implementation of UNDP Viet Nam’s action framework to advance the climate change, sustainable energy, low carbon development sectors, e-mobility in Viet Nam
- Ensure an effective partnership with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Investment and Trade, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Ministry of Planning and Investment and relevant ministries and institutions to promote climate change, sustainable energy transition, low-carbon development and achievement of Viet Nam’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC). This includes mobilization and providing technical support to Viet Nam to develop and adopt a comprehensive set of policies and regulation on various aspects of climate change , sustainable energy transition, e-mobility and low carbon development.
- Build strong partnerships with Government institutions, development partners, private sector, NGOs, civil society in the specific thematic areas (climate change, energy, low-carbon development, e-mobility, sustainable development, etc.)
- Facilitate policy dialogues and knowledge management, including (i) identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues; (ii) identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals; and (iii) quality contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Identify and formulate interventions to enhance climate change mitigation, GHG emssions reduction, sustainable energy and low carbon development in Viet Nam
- Provide technical and policy advisory services to UNDP. This includes taking the lead and contribute to researches, policy papers, briefings, advocacy messages, and keynote speeches for policy dialogues and high-level events
- Facilitate, participate and contribute to knowledge management, knowledge networks, including communities of practice and knowledge management networks
- Promote and experiment innovative approaches in collaboration with global and national think tanks and with other team members and colleagues within UNDP.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Partnerships Management:Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
2030 Agenda: Planet: Nature, Climate and Energy
- Climate change Mitigation: concepts and application
- Climate Change Policies: Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)
- Green Economy: Green economy and green growth
- Bachelor’s degree in Energy, Climate Change, Environmental Science, development studies and/or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years (with Masters’ degree) or Minimum of 7 years with a Bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or regional or international level in providing policy advisory, advocacy, and research services, including partnership building in energy, climate change, low-carbon development, transportation and innovation.
- Demonstrated experience in design, appraisal, management, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of development projects, especially project cycle management of vertical fund (GEF, GCF, Adaptation Fund, etc) projects. Previous experience with UNDP project implementation and Programme Operations Policies and Procedures is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical advice and services to development and implementation of national policies, legal and institutional frameworks in energy, climate change, ,low-carbon development, green transport and related sectors and knowledge of intenational best practices.
- Substantial experience in conducting policy analysis and research to provide evidence for advocacy and advice to the government agencies to enhance national and sectoral policies in relevant topics in Viet Nam.
- Experience working with private sector and innovation is desired
- Demonstrated analytical, conceptualization and communication skills; ability to work as team member in a multicultural environment
- Proven knowledge of gender equality and civil society participation are advantageous.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English and Vietnamese, including excellent drafting skills (at least one relevant report in each language shall be provided as evidence).
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: