Outreach and Engagement Lead
The Global Crop Diversity Trust is an international organization with headquarters in Bonn, Germany whose mission is to ensure the conservation and availability of crop diversity for food security worldwide. For further information about the Global Crop Diversity Trust, consult the web page at http://croptrust.org
The Global Crop Diversity Trust is seeking an outstanding candidate for the position of:
Outreach and Engagement Lead
The Crop Trust’s Outreach and Engagement Lead (OEL) will join a dynamic communications team to implement and support the development of the Crop Trust communications and outreach strategy. The OEL will support the Head of Communications to further develop a creative, efficient, and impactful outreach program that delivers coordinated, high-quality outreach products, ensuring targeted delivery of messaging and expanding reach on all channels and platforms in support of institutional objectives.
Success is measured through KPIs and the timely production of communication and outreach products and other deliverables.
Reporting directly to the Head of Communications and overseeing the work of the Social Media Focal Point, the OEL will be accountable for the following:
● Implementing the Crop Trust media strategy; coordinating and monitoring all media activity; developing and managing a spokesperson roster; overseeing and arranging media interviews for experts; drafting/updating media talking points (institutional and project);
● Work closely with the Head of Communications and Events Officer to oversee and leverage the global events strategy to drive outreach and ensure coordination of project and institutional messaging at global events;
● Further develop the Crop Trust news hub ‘The Digest’ through high-quality blogging, effective and creative use of audiovisual products, communications platforms and tools, and development of cutting-edge outreach campaigns;
● Manage the Social Media Focal Point, overseeing all creative and data-driven social media content and campaigns, ensuring they align with and support institutional, project and fundraising activities and global events;
● Develop and ensure coordination of outreach and engagement activities related to events and key international days, involving key partners and exploring new tools and platforms for delivery;
● Manage a roster of individual consultants, including writers, editors, designers, videographers, and podcasters, to develop a pipeline of blogs and audiovisual products to support projects and outreach objectives;
● Manage relationships and ensure delivery of products from external agencies, including public relations firms, social media - and film agencies;
● Draft press releases, speeches, talking points, scripts, and other written communication products as needed;
● Work closely with the Science and Partnerships/Resource Mobilization Teams to develop story leads and angles to celebrate project achievements and support fundraising initiatives;
● In close collaboration with the Head of Communications, manage the section of the communications budget that pertains to outreach, as well as outreach sections of project budgets;
● Set and track KPIs for all outreach and engagement activities and act as the focal point for monitoring progress and ensuring targets are met for social media engagement and all outreach activities;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A university degree in journalism, communications or a related discipline is essential; a Master’s degree in a related field is desirable.
- Over five years of experience in international communications roles, preferably within the development/environmental sector;
- An excellent writer and editor. Journalistic experience is a significant advantage;
- A strong understanding of, and experience in, implementing social media campaigns;
- Affinity with the Crop Trust's mission and a keen interest in environmental and science topics;
- Experience coordinating media outreach and liaising with journalists;
- Experience managing consultants and agencies;
- Strong organizational skills and an acute attention to detail;
- A strong team player who thrives in a team environment;
- Experience managing budgets is preferred;
- Fluency in English required with excellent communication and drafting skills;
- Proficiency in other relevant languages would be advantage.
Terms and Conditions: The Crop Trust offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, non-contributory retirement savings plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. This is a Professional position classified as Level 4 (Level 6 being the highest). The salary range for Level 4 starts at Euro 55,000. All benefits are denominated and paid in Euros. Staff of the Global Crop Diversity Trust (including German nationals) is exempt from host country income tax. Relocation costs are covered for candidates residing outside of the Bonn/Cologne or surrounding areas.
Applications: Interested candidates should submit the following (incomplete applications will not be considered):
Deadline for applications is 5 February 2023.
By submitting your application, you agree to the Crop Trust processing your personal data as described here.
The Trust is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.