Shipping Coordinator P3 (Aid & Relief) - Panama
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Panama City
- Grade: Mid level - P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Transport and Distribution
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2023-04-04
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a seasoned Shipping Officer interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join an international organisation investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, January xx, 2023 (11:59 PM CET).
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching, mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
THE ROLE AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) and report to a more senior Supply Chain Officer or Deputy Division/Country Director. Job holders at this grade level demonstrate adaptive capacities in effective shipping management and make significant independent contributions to the planning and development of shipping operating policies and procedures. Job holders are expected to provide high-level technical expertise and knowledge of global shipping markets and participate in the development and implementation of integrated Supply Chain approaches at global, regional, and national levels. Job holders are expected to manage and complete projects or assignments with a high degree of managerial independence. Job holders will typically manage a team consisting of professional and support staff ensuring high performance and development.
You will play an integral role in delivering food and other assistance to those in need. You will be responsible for planning, negotiating, contracting, implementing, and managing WFP shipping strategy. Your responsibilities will include building and maintaining professional partnerships with internal and external stakeholders such as freight forwarders, carriers, as well as colleagues across Supply Chain and other WFP Functional Areas. You will provide high-level specialist expertise and effective management of innovative shipping operations, contributing to an integrated humanitarian Supply Chain approach at HQ, RB, and CO level to meet food assistance needs of beneficiaries and service provision requirements for partners.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Design, plan and implement innovative shipping operations and initiatives to ensure timely, efficient, and cost-effective delivery of food assistance by sea to beneficiaries.
- Build long-term strategic partnerships with external and internal stakeholders, including but not limited to government and national counterparts, UN Agencies, NGOs, and the private sector to share operational knowledge and resources to build capacity and ensure effective and coordinated Shipping and Supply Chain operations.
- Implement and negotiate local, regional, and global shipping services, including ocean transportation contracts for container shipping, that are cost-effective and compliant with rules and regulations.
- Assist the Head of the Shipping team in developing and implementing policies and procedures for Liner/container shipping operations ensuring that objectives are achieved in compliance with policies and WFP standards.
- Review and analyze local, regional, and global markets to keep abreast of changes in the freight and shipping industry, ensuring that government regulations and WFP procedures are respected.
- Ensure pro-active, accurate, and timely management of shipping services to meet requested times of arrival, and coordinate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in the development and implementation of regional supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Analyze regional/country context, and design and manage end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges and obtain operational optimization.
- Explore and keep abreast of liner/containers freight markets and trends, translate into impact on WFP shipping operations and define appropriate response/strategy.
- Monitor the entire ocean contract execution, identify, and immediately address contractual and operational risks and issues, or propose mitigating actions.
- Plan and manage implementation of innovative supply chain operations, initiatives, and services to ensure timely, cost-effective, and integrated approach with core activities and services and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Provide technical advice and identify opportunities for improvement and innovation initiatives analyzing best practices from the humanitarian and development fields, academia, and private sector.
- Perform in-depth market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of an appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Plan, monitor and manage resources to maximize effectiveness of shipping operations.
- Manage service providers/vendors, port, fleet, and warehouse operations as required to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations and safeguard WFP’s interest.
- Manage, motivate, and build the capacity of the team through coaching, training, and career guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance, and monitoring the management of specific shipping risks to enable WFP, governments, and other partners to quickly respond and deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Master's Degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Shipping, Logistics or another relevant area, or First University degree with relevant logistics qualifications or additional logistics experience in Port, Freight Forwarding and Shipping Operations.
- At least 5 years of post-graduate, progressively responsible professional experience in Shipping and Supply Chain services
- Fluency (level C) in the English language
- Fluency (level C) in the Spanish language
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and/or Portuguese would be a plus
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Experience in commercial or government transportation sectors
- Experience determining with CO and other Supply Chain actors the best shipping modality/timing and liaising with agents and suppliers to ensure cargo readiness
- Experience managing a network of freight forwarding and charter-protecting agents at load and discharge ports
- Experience managing the discharging operations for chartered vessels and the contracting of stevedoring services
- Experience negotiating and concluding ocean transportation contractual arrangements with commercial shipping lines and ship owners
- Experience supervising professional/national staff
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
|Leads by Example with Integrity||Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments||Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork||Applies Strategic Thinking||Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships|
Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be, a core contractual requirement in WFP. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Panama City, Panama to take up this assignment.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable)
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.