Base Manager - Anbar
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Anbar
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Overall purpose of the role:
- Responsible for the overall operational and programmatic planning, reporting, and implementation to enable DRC to achieve its objectives.
- Supervising the base and ensure that DRC procedures are streamlined in the project implementation
- Building relationships with key humanitarian partners and donors and securing funding to expand DRC’s programmes
Geographic scope: Base (Anbar)
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines at base level. The role contributes to the development of base strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- People management of direct reports (incl. development, performance & recruitment)
- Support and mentor staff members by identifying clear deliverables and providing training
- Support and monitor Programme staff planning of activities
- Supervise finance, admin, Human Resources, procurement and logistics ensuring that expenditure is compliant with DRC procedures, donors’ regulation and national legislation
- Development, coordination, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting to donors and other relevant humanitarian actors
- Supervision and coordination of programme and support staff
- Monitoring of project(s) expenditures
- Conduct assessments and fact-finding missions to set up new or follow-up projects
- Assisting in the preparation of project proposals for external donors and negotiate/defend them, conceptualizing and developing sectoral and local strategies in close co-operation with the Country Director
- Assisting in developing new programme initiatives and fundraising
- Ensure that the programmes are implemented in accordance with DRC standard regulations and operational procedures
- Ensure that at all times contact with beneficiaries, target groups and representatives of authorities is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner
- Supervise implementation of the projects via monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure adherence to DRC Security procedures according to the DRC Operations Handbook and local security rules
Representation and coordination
- Cultivate good relations with key humanitarian actors, including UNHCR, INGOs and donors, through regular attendance at technical meetings/clusters and bilateral meetings
- Liaison and close coordination with UN agencies, NGOs, government authorities and non-state actors
- Ensure that timely and quality project narrative reports are provided to the donors on time according to donors requirement
- Represent DRC as required
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
- Ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that costs are kept within budgets, providing a monthly financial summary to the area office to identify and address any financial risks.
- Provide regular, consistently high-quality reports on programme and projects by ensuring that proper monitoring is included in all work.
- Manage and monitor the internal systems effectively.
- In coordinating with area manager, ensure effective staff safety procedures and draw up special safety guidelines in the event of serious security risk.
- Actively implement DRC Gender Age and Diversity policies in the recruitment and employment of staff, in also the programme delivering.
- Maintain contact with authorities and other agencies and ensure that DRC complies with relevant legislation and that its activity is understood and publicized.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 5 years' experience in relevant field in an INGO
- At least 3 years' experience with people management
- Substantial work experience in the areas of emergency, camp management, development sector, especially with displaced/refugees communities can substitute education qualification.
- Experience managing field offices
- Experience in project management and proven organizational skills
- Good knowledge of relevant donors
- Experience dealing with national partners and local/government authorities
- Professional background in working with internally displaced persons and/or refugees
- Good experience in training and liaising with national NGOs
- Experience working in multicultural work settings
- Full professional proficiency in English
Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
- English (Full proficiency)
- Arabic (Native)
- Support Service Unit at area level.
- Local authorities
- INGOs in Anbar
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
- Contract Length: 10 months (extendable)
- Salary Band: F (Management)
- Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: