UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) – Korean Regional assistant
Result of Service
The final result of the consultant’s work will be the successful high-quality outputs, with the Ultimate Results of Services being:
1. Delivery of the Regional Roundtable 2023 to be held in Seoul, South Korea
2. Members’ communications, specifically in the context of South Korean members, strengthened and knowledge shared across Asia Pacific financial ecosystem on sustainable finance and work done by UNEP FI
3. The APAC and Korean page of the UNEP FI website updated
4. Coordinate capacity building workshops and technical assistance with partners, in line with the concrete work being done on the PRB, TCFD, NZ Alliances.
5. Awareness raised across the Asia Pacific financial system on emerging UNEP FI guidance, resources and tools, and supporting the UNEP FI work programme outputs to enhance policy environments
6. Coordinate events, peer exchanges and technical assistance to share good practice in responsible banking and sustainable insurance in Asia Pacific, and specifically in South Korea.
Working Remotely from Republic of Korea
10 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of the UNEP’s Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is the strategic partnership between the United Nations and over 450 banks, insurers and investors. For 30 years UNEP FI has been shaping and driving the international sustainable finance agenda, setting global standards and growing a global network of leading financial institutions. Through its work-streams and regional activities, peer learning, methodology development, training and research, UNEP FI carries out its mission to help the financial industry align with and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals and with that take on the crucial role it must play in achieving a sustainable future.
The consultant will assist the implementation of UNEP FI’s strategy to mobilise sustainable finance in Asia-Pacific, working in co-operation with UNEP FI’s regional coordinator and the national coordinator for South Korea, particularly in ensuring the PRB implementation of APAC banks.
The consultant would provide support to the national coordinator of South Korea in all activities related to PRB implementation of South Korean banks. Apart from specifically looking at South Korean banks, the consultant would also be working with the Regional Coordinator- Asia Pacific, in providing support to banks across the region in their PRB implementation. The consultant will support the South Korea coordinator in relationship management with UNEP FI members in South Korea, and engage them to facilitate proper PRB implementation, along with the delivery of the Regional Roundtable. The consultant will also support the regional coordinator in member communications on sustainable finance in the region and support the PRB implementation of banks in the region.
There is a critical need to provide PRB implementation support to banks in the region. Given the vastness of the region along with how banks in the region are doing, it is important that we as UNEP FI are able to comprehensive information, ommunications and guidance to the banks, along with ensuring coordination among national coordinators in the region. Also, with the RRT being organized in Seoul for the year of 2023, it would be important to provide additional support to the national coordinator in ensuring on-ground activities. Hence, outside expertise is required for this purpose.
As an overall objective, we aim that the ultimate result of the service will be ensuring that Sustainable Finance is properly understood by our signatories and that the principles and alliances our members commit to are properly implemented, mobilizing APAC institutions to adequately commit to responsible banking and ensure appropriate impact analysis and target-setting.
More concretely, the objective is to:
1. Ensure the organization and delivery of the Regional Roundtable 2023
2. Focus on the PRB implementation of South Korean Banks: Members and potential members in Korea are provided timely and sufficient support from UNEP FI secretariat. Prioritize implementation of UNEP FI programs and initiatives (PRB, PSI, NZ AOA/IA/BA, etc.) by South Korean banks to deliver more value to members and deepen industry influence. The consultant will be working under close supervision of the national coordinator in South Korea towards achieving these objective.
a. Members in Korea informed and engaged on UNEP FI’s sustainable finance agenda and activities through the effective use of UNEP FI public and member-only websites, as primary communication tools.
b. Members are informed of key information including Korean member activities and major policy developments on sustainable finance in Korea, have access to Korean translated materials, event announcements, and any other useful information such as UNEP FI governance and administration.
c. The support includes organising regular meetings to update Korean PRB members and increasing the availability of tools, materials and webinars in Korean languages.
d. Information sharing and collaboration undertaken with partners and key stakeholders including relevant industry associations, ministries, PRI, etc. and in relation to the enabling environment for sustainable finance and market leadership in Korea.
3. Focus on the PRB implementation of APAC Banks: The consultant would support the Regional Coordinator- Asia Pacific in facilitating the PRB implementation of banks in the APAC region. S/he will support member institutions in the implementation of the Principles for Responsible Banking and Principles for Sustainable Insurance by facilitating timely and relevant communications to members, undertaking desk-based research on national/ regionbal policies that may be important for PRB implementation and by providing support in organization of webinars, technical assistance, peer to peer exchange and workshops. The consultant will work with the regional coordinator and national coordinator of South Korea on showcasing members’ sustainable finance news and monitor information on members and potential members, and deliver the quarterly newsletter updates with specific relevance for Asia Pacific
4. Communications and Awareness raising- Rationalise global collective developments with regional implementation support. Support regional and Korean awareness raising and communications of UNEP FI work in Korea and the region.
Specifically, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
1. Regarding Regional Roundtable Asia Pacific in 2023
a. On-ground support to the UNEP FI Secretariat in finalizing the venue, engaging with the vendors and coordination with venue with support of events colleagues
b. Support the national coordinator in getting sponsorships
c. Translation of basic materials (event agedas and communications materials) specific to the event
d. Communicate about the event to Korean members and networks
2. Providing direct support to the Korean coordinator
a. Support the development and execution of an agreed work plan in Korea including, contributing to Korean elements of Asia Pacific work plan
b. Support event organization in Korea and/or for Korean members
c. Undertake outreach to engage Korean members and non-member financial institutions on opportunities to be involved in UNEP FI projects and activities
d. Support translation and dissemination of outputs where required and respond to requests from Korean signatories, increasing UNEP FI visibility, membership retention and growth in Korea
e. Maintain and monitor Korean page for the UNEP FI website
f. Maintain contacts list for Korean members and update status of pipeline of potential members.
3. Providing support to the regional Coordinator
a. Contribute to the implementation of UNEP FI’s strategies and work plan in Asia Pacific for 2023, including engaging members in the global and regional work programme by supporting communications, knowledge-sharing on country-specific priorities, awareness raising of sustainable banking/insurance investment developments
b. Contribute updates to regional web page and add and update Korean members’ profiles and latest sustainability reports on UNEP FI website.
c. Support the organization of events and capacity building workshop in APAC and/or for APAC members
d. Monitor the involvement of members, by tracking the number of activities, workshops, and working groups that members from APAC take part in through their involvement in the FI global work programme. Track which members have participated in which UNEP FI activity and engage with those who have been inactive
e. Inform UNEP FI Secretariat of relevant members’ news
f. Coordinate with national coordinators in the region and identify and support opportunities for cooperation
The consultant shall be under the overall supervision of the Head of UNEP FI and report directly to the UNEP FI Programme Officer. The consultant will work directly with the Asia Pacific Region Coordination Manager and the Korea Country Coordinator in UNEP FI.
Education: First level degree in economics, finance, environmental studies, international relations, business administration, social sciences or related fields.
Professional Experience: At least 5 years of work experience, especially in international organisations, the financial services sector, private sector or NGOs examining the intersection between sustainability and finance.
Skills & knowledge:
• Proven skills in building and managing relationships with a variety of private and public stakeholders.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Proven knowledge in the fields of sustainable finance and the environment; financial services sector, knowledge/experience of the regional context.
• Ability to cope with comprehensive work programmes, multiple projects and activities in an organized and timely manner.
• Experience in project management and organising high-level meetings is an advantage.
Languages: Fluency in English and Korean is required for this position.English is the working language of UNEP FI. Knowledge of other United Nations languages are an asset.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.