Islamic Philanthropy Intern
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)H (no hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
February 6, 2023
Job Posting End Date
Islamic Philanthropy Intern
Terms of Reference
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is advertising for an internship position with the Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP). UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions. UNHCR is almost entirely funded by voluntary contributions from governments and private sector donors.
PSP is responsible for private sector donors (corporations, foundations, and individuals), and faith-based philanthropy is one of the key strategic areas of focus. The incumbent will provide logistical and research-based support in relation to Islamic Philanthropy activities in the Americas and globally. He/she will assist in the organization of several initiatives, consultations, conferences, and meetings with partners, including administrative details. The incumbent will also support the development of stronger partnerships with academia, research institutes, and Islamic institutions across the Americas and globally.
The incumbent will have a functional reporting line to the DC based Senior Partnership and Philanthropy Officer, to report on developments, feedback and technical support, and appropriate sharing of information, and will liaise with the PSP Regional Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Provision of logistical, back-office, and other forms of support in activities related to liaison with partners, academia, research centers, and think tanks.
• Drafting research and policy papers, communication letters, meeting notes, and concept notes.
• Conducting research on topics related to Islamic Philanthropy activities in the Americas and globally.
• Assisting with monitoring websites and social media portals for relevant partners and stakeholders.
• Provision of logistical support in organizing events, seminars, and meetings.
• Compilation of materials for presentations, conferences, and papers.
• Support with other tasks as required.
Minimum qualifications required:
• University degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communication, Philanthropy, or other related fields.
• Advanced knowledge of Islamic institutions, politics, and culture.
• Background in humanitarian work and political science is preferable.
• Strong organization skills.
• Excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
• Computer and IT skills (MS Office, graphics, social media, etc.).
Standard Job Description
Other informationThis position doesn't require a functional clearance