A (least hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
February 7, 2023
Senior IT Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior IT Assistant will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Officer and the technical supervision of an IT Officer at Sub/Branch/Multi-Country office level. The incumbent may play a supervisory role in overlooking the day-to-day activities of the Telecom Operators in the offices in the area of coverage. S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country of assignment as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners within the area of responsibility (AOR) to exchange information and to provide assistance.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the office in implementing set standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem¿to prevent faults occurring.
- Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
- Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
- Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
- Add and remove users from the Networks.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
- Assist in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
- Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
- Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
- Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
- To decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
- Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Telecommunication Information Technology.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant experience in the ICT field.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
• This position is advertised to internal and external applicants. Candidates must be legally present in México at the time of application, recruitment and hire. Only Mexicans or candidates holding a permanent residency in México will be considered eligible.
• Internal Candidates: comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above, as well as any candidates serving at higher grades who fulfill the criteria as per the job advertisement. Staff members must serve for a minimum of one year following assignment before being considered eligible to apply for another position within the same category.
• Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern, is subject to proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, independently of contract type and duration. The selected candidate(s) will be required to provide the proof of vaccination prior to recruitment.
• Only short-listed candidates will be notified. The recruitment process might include written test and/or oral interview for this job opening. No late applications will be accepted.
• UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
• Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered depending on relevant experience as per the requirements of the job advertisement. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the Office of HR Management of United Nations.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
Information Technology - Other, Telecommunications - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance