A (least hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
February 7, 2023
Field Security Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security.
The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer (FSA or Head of Office) who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation.
The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field as required in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; gather and analyse information about the security situation during field missions.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the, Security Risk Management process for the designated area ;
- Conduct checks for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies.
- Monitor and supervise the guard force In accordance with relevant UNSMS policies and guidance.
- Assist UNHCR Protection Colleagues in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant security risk management processes and measures for the country concerned to include security situation updates, , the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road air and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
- Maintain liaison and build relationships with Host Government Security Forces and security counterparts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Security and Safety
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
High level of knowledge in the security field
FS-Field Security Operations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
• This position is advertised to internal and external applicants. Candidates must be legally present in México at the time of application, recruitment and hire. Only Mexicans or candidates holding a permanent residency in México will be considered eligible.
• Internal Candidates: comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above, as well as any candidates serving at higher grades who fulfill the criteria as per the job advertisement. Staff members must serve for a minimum of one year following assignment before being considered eligible to apply for another position within the same category.
• Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern, is subject to proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, independently of contract type and duration. The selected candidate(s) will be required to provide the proof of vaccination prior to recruitment.
• Only short-listed candidates will be notified. The recruitment process might include written test and/or oral interview for this job opening. No late applications will be accepted.
• UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
• Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered depending on relevant experience as per the requirements of the job advertisement. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the Office of HR Management of United Nations.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
CO-Cross-cultural communication, FS-Field Security Operations, FS-Security Analysis, IT-Computer Literacy
Safety and Security - Other
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Change capability & adaptability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Judgement & decision making, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance