Team Leader – Gender Based Violence (Re-advertisement)
Job title: Team Leader – Gender Based Violence (GBV)
Employment category: G
Reporting to: Protection Coordinator
Location: Duty Station: Kibondo/Kasulu
Overall purpose of the role:
The Team Leader-Gender Based Violence (GBV works as part of DRC’s team under the direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator and guidance support of the Protection Manager. The role is based in Kasulu/Kibondo and shall conduct regular field visits to the host villages near by Nyarugusu and Nduta refugee camp.
The Team Leader-Gender Based Violence (GBV) will oversee the overall day to day of GBV prevention and response interventions, including case management/psychosocial support, Women/Men protection and empowerment, community mobilization for GBV prevention within and outside the camp, capacity building and coordination with other sectors and actors.
The GBV Team Leader will provide supervision, mentoring/coaching for team members to ensure that the goals and objectives of the program are met in a timely and effective manner, that the approach to program implementation is participatory, that team members receive appropriate support and that a positive team spirit is fostered, encouraging innovative and quality programming.
The Team Leader – Gender Based Violence, in coordination and cooperation with the program staff, is expected to contribute to:
• Supervise members in team
• Deliver technical support and guidance to team
• Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC
• Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities.
• Mobilize stakeholders to participate in GBV coordination and risk mitigation meetings.
• In collaboration with Protection Coordinator and Protection Manager, promote and represent the interests of the GBV program with regards to all relevant stakeholders.
• Participate in the development of proposals, concepts note, and budget as requested.
• Participate/support in risk reduction activity and the identification of risks to women, men, boys and girls in assigned refugee camp and host community, by carrying out regular GBV safety audits situational analysis and consultations with women, men, boys and girls and identify trends and changes in the context important for consideration in risk reduction activities.
• Conduct/organize and facilitate trainings and workshops on gender and GBV related issues for implementing partners, MHA, DRC staff, UNHCR, women’s groups, refugee community leaders, religious leaders, youth groups, NGO workers and any other identified groups
• In collaboration with M&E department, participate in GBV rapid assessment and/or other GBV program related-assessment, and contribute to the GBV overall intervention strategy based on feedback received from women, men, boys and girls throughout community mobilization and engagement.
• Lead and manage the team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
• Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
• Coordinate and monitor the overall implementation of GBV program activities in the camp/host communities based on established indicators, including collecting and analyzing data and information for reporting.
• Supervise and support the day to day activities including case management/psychosocial support, follow-up and advocacy to meet beneficiaries’ needs, community mobilization to prevent GBV risks, build community capacity to prevent and respond to GBV incidents; Provide on-going direct supervision to GBV staff, including assisting in the development of individual work plans for GBV staff.
• Support GBV officer and Assistant to develop and monitor program plans, including activity, procurement and spending related to GBV prevention and response activities.
• Work with GBVIMS officer to ensure safe and ethical GBV data collection and sharing based on agreed procedures and protocols.
• Work with GBVIMS officer to make sure the GBVIMS/ GBV proGreV4 module is updated and shared with relevant stakeholders.
• Conduct regular meetings with team members and community members to assess progress toward objectives, discuss issues and assist in finding solutions to challenges identified.
• Ensure timely submission of activity reports on weekly, monthly and quarterly basis and ensure proper filing.
Programming & Operations
• Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
• Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
• Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
• Take initiative on procurement, working with Protection Coordinator and Protection Manager and Supply chain to ensure smooth procurement process and correct use of budget spending.
Coordination and representation
• Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
• Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
• Ensure integration with other DRC sectors, such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management livelihoods, WASH, and General Food Distribution (GFD).
• Asist in developing project plans and budgets for funding
• Work with Protection Coordinator to develop projects tools
• Project implementation and reporting
• Work with MEAL department to monitor and evaluate project
• Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
• Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
• Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
• Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
• Minimum of 3-4 years of experience in protection, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian responses in refugee protection, working for International organization, UN agency, relevant ministry or local authority.
• Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures and demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances.
• Excellent skills in Microsoft offices like Ms. Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Experience in implementing Gender Based Violence, Case management, referral related activities and awareness is desirable
• Field experience in emergency context is highly desirable
• High level of personal initiative, analytical skills and pro-active problem solving.
• Demonstrated people’s management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization
• Cultural sensitivity, and commitment and understanding of the values of DRC. Good communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Law, Political Science, Gender and Development, Social science studies and other relevant fields in well recognized college or university (preferred)
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
Striving for excellence ☐ ☐ ☒
Collaborating ☐ ☐ ☒
Taking the lead ☐ ☐ ☒
Communicating ☐ ☐ ☒
Demonstrating integrity ☐ ☒ ☐
• Good proficiency in written and spoken English, and Swahili. Kirundi is an added advantage
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
• DRC programme staff (protection and others)
• Refugees and donors
• Local Government and host Community representatives.
• Referral partners
•Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
•Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
•Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: