Intern for Multimedia Communication
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is active in around 130 countries every year. With Field Presences in over 60 countries, UNV is represented worldwide. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany and has approximately 130 staff positions – with some positions in five of its Regional Offices and in different Field Units around the world, and in other Headquarters locations (e.g. New York and Tokyo).
The External Relations and Communications Section builds and nurtures corporate donor relations, strategically leads the donor resource mobilization platform and conducts coherent communications efforts to highlight the value of volunteerism for peace and development and the contributions of UNV and UN Volunteers.
The intern (Multimedia Communication) will have the opportunity to learn about the work carried out by UN Volunteers with UN agencies in the field to advance peace and development, and to contribute to publicize and promote their work through the creation of multimedia materials to publish on UNV’s online communications platforms.
This internship is a perfect fit for a student of communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, political science or international development, looking to expand her/his career in the field of corporate communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direction of the Communications Analyst, External Relations and Communications Section, the incumbent is expected to contribute to:
- Conduct research on TikTok trends and propose content to be produced for TikTok to promote the work of UNV and the contributions of UN Volunteers.
- Support the production and editing of videos for TikTok about former and current UN Volunteers who are the voice of the impact volunteering makes in peace and development.
- Conduct general research on volunteerism and draft copy for UNV’s social media channels.
- Support the design of general multimedia content for UNV’s social media channels.
Learning opportunities for the intern
- General understanding of the work and mission of the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme, and the contribution of volunteerism to peace and development;
- Hands-on experience with the preparation and implementation of multimedia materials for an international organization, as well as with its editorial and outreach processes;
- Insight into issues of modern corporate communications;
- Experience working in an international organization and in a multicultural environment.
Strong interest in development cooperation and in the work of the United Nations Volunteers programme.
Excellent oral and written communications skills as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.Knowledge of
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN language is desirable
- General understanding of the work and mission of the UNV programme, and of volunteerism’s contribution to peace and development effectiveness.
- Insight and hands-on experience in UNV’s broad range of operational Business Intelligence activities using latest technologies
- Insight and hands-on experience in volunteer management; and
- Become more familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment.
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications & Experience
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English;
- Experience developing multimedia content for social media, including video production for TikTok and Instagram, graphic design and photo editing work using Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro or similar, Photoshop and in InDesign;
- Previous experience writing and/or editing content for social media;
- Research abilities and strong interest and knowledge of global events;
- Creative open-minded team player with strong initiative and a willingness to learn;
- In addition to an excellent knowledge of English, fluency in another official United Nations language, particularly French and/or Spanish, is an asset.
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. Applicants to UNV internships must at the time of application meet one of the following academic requirements:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
General Terms and Conditions
- UNDP Conditions of Service for interns apply for interns working at UNV Headquarters.
- Where an intern is not financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, a stipend intended to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station, will be paid by UNV.
- The monthly amount of the stipend will be determined based on the stipend rates published yearly by the OHR Policy and Compensation Unit. The stipend will be paid on a monthly basis and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNV but to complement an intern's studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- UNV accepts no responsibility for the intern's medical insurance or for costs arising from illness during the internship. Interns are required to provide proof of medical insurance coverage.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Short-listed candidates may be requested provide samples of their graphic design and video work, and to take a short written test and/or interview.
Incomplete applications will not be considered