Safety and Security Coordinator
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Caracas
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Security and Safety
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, working in more than 40 countries to provide adequate assistance and protection to refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons, returnees, people on the move and local vulnerable population/host communities. DRC is currently looking for a highly qualified Spanish and English-speaking Safety and Security Coordinator for a 6-month contract (renewable depending on funding and performance) based in Caracas, Venezuela, with frequent field travels. This is an opportunity for an experienced Safety and Security Coordinator to support DRC’s emergency response to the current situation in Venezuela.
About the job
DRC is managing its operations in Venezuela, under the management of DRC Caracas country office and three field offices located in Sucre, Apure, and Zulia states. DRC Venezuela is implementing activities such as protection monitoring, legal aid, Individual protection assistance for PWSN, information sessions for PoC, prevention of human trafficking, Health infrastructure rehabilitation, and food security.
Overall purpose of the role:
To Manage all aspects of the DRC Safety Risk Management (SRM) system for DRC programmes within geographical area of responsibility. Strong focus on conducting Safety Risk Assessments in the field and support on Access.
- Provide professional security advice, support, guidance, and expertise to DRC staff
- Assist on enabling, ensuring, contextualizing, and reporting compliance to DRC MOSS security management system, while achieving effective access and continuity of operations through close cooperation with programmes
- Enabling DRC staff to conduct their work in a confident, safe, appropriate, and effective manner
- SMT member
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Safety Risk Management
• Oversee the Safety Risk Management (SRM) process
• Develop area and country safety management policies, protocols and procedures
• Ensure follow-up audits
• Facilitate Safety Risk Assessments (SRAs) and support the implementation of mitigation measures
• Analyze, manage and report relevant information within geographical area of responsibility
• Maintain relevant safety documentation, data and records for the areas of concern
• Develop the capacity of, and coordinate, relevant Crisis Management Teams (CMTs)
• Support Country Programming following DRC Country Access Strategy
• Technically advise on the procurement of safety-related equipment, facilities and other resources.
• Develop of contingency plans, such as medical emergency, evacuation and incident management, movement briefings and contextualization of movement plan.
Communication & information
• Support the Country Director on the communication and coordination with relevant stakeholders on all matters relating to the safety of DRC staff within geographical area of responsibility
• Collect, verify, analyze and report information that affects, or may affect, DRC operations
• Prepare and submit Safety Incident Reports (SIR)
• Follow up of context and trends in the areas of intervention
• Take part on exploratories to new areas of intervention
• Prepare and submit safety reports and trend analyses as required
• Provide Safety and Security advice on programme development and implementation
Training, supervision and support
• Support and deliver safety-related training
• Mentor and provide technical supervision to local safety staff
• Facilitate surge support to IMTs as required.
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within a specific discipline in a region or country
• Usually has technical line responsibilities within a given discipline, for both strategy and operations
• Provides expert advice and support to set strategy and assure operational quality and compliance
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager;
• Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
• Make sure to spread a positive image of DRC and its activities by explaining what DRC is doing and why DRC operates in that way.
Required experience and competencies
• Minimum 3-5 years of working experience as a safety and security manager/adviser with an INGO
• Experience working in multicultural work settings
• Proven ability to develop and implement effective and contextualized protocols and systems
• Experience with information gathering, analysis and report writing
• Ability to conduct and produce high quality safety risk assessments (SRAs)
• Experience with critical incident management
• Experience with delivering safety-related training
• Experience working in hostile or hazardous environments
• Full professional proficiency in English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Master's degree in political science, peace & conflict studies, history, disaster management or a military education
Idiomas (Indicar el nivel de manejo)
- Proficiency in English
- Proficiency in Spanish
About the Job:
- Employment Band: G1-Non Management
- Length of Contract: 6-month Contract
- Closing Date of the Application: February 27 of 2023
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Contact Person for the Advert: Pablo Castro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Non family duty station
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: