Consultant – Technical Writer
- Organization: ICAO - International Civil Aviation Organization
- Location: Montreal
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: Closed
An initial period of two (2) months with a possibility of an extensionDuties and Responsibilities
THE ORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) sets international Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) for aviation safety, air navigation, security, and environmental protection. To that effect, ICAO is a knowledge-based organization engaged in developing intellectual property. The Revenue and Product Development (RPM) Section is part of the Technical Cooperation Bureau (TCB) and is focused on the organization's revenue-generating activities. The portfolio of revenue-generating activities includes publications, periodicals, databases, websites, training, printing, and events. The revenues generated by these activities are required to promote ICAO’s Strategic Objectives and carry out related Programme Support. The Section is responsible for the overall strategic planning, stakeholders’ collaboration, coordination, promotion, and distribution of these sellable products in close coordination with the other Bureaus/Offices of the Organization.
Under the Project Manager, Product Development, the Technical Writer must outline and create Administrative Instructions for defined revenue generating activities within the RPM Section, including printing and events management. After gathering requirements from the stakeholders, the Technical Writer will support the development of both existing and new Administrative Instructions. This implies working closely with the stakeholders to structure, describe, and document processes in concise manner. Working in a multi-sectional team environment, the incumbent must have strong technical writing skills, solid communication abilities and experience to break complex processes down for a broad audience.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. expected results)
Redesign and update of existing Administrative Instructions, achieving results such as:
• Analyse existing Administrative Instructions and the business processes they support;
• Gather and prioritize requirements to update existing Administrative Instructions;
• Collaborate with operational teams to plan and prioritise work plan;
• Produce updated versions of Administrative Instructions, including the editing, copy preparation, application of approved editorial standards, layout, formatting, graphics design, typography and proofreading;
• Perform more editing as required, including rewriting, abridging and restructuring texts for greater readability and better logical sequence.
Function 2 (incl. expected results)
Development of Administrative Instructions, achieving results such as:
• Analyse business processes that Administrative Instructions support;
• Gather and prioritize requirements to develop Administrative Instructions;
• Determine the clearest and most logical way to present information for greatest reader comprehension;
• Write and edit technical information accordingly;
• Determine the selection of graphics and illustrations to elaborate on or complement technical writing;
• Produce Administrative Instructions, including the application of approved editorial standards.
Function 3 (incl. expected results)
Performs other related duties as assigned.
A first-level university degree, preferably with professional training in technical writing, English language and literature, communication or journalism, management, or a related area, is required.
Professional experience and knowledge:
• A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in technical writing, editing and publishing in a technical or scientific organization;
• A proven track record in the successful development of technical documentation;
• Experience in documenting processes and procedures;
• Experience of working with illustrations and graphics with tools such as Microsoft Visio.
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
A working knowledge of a second language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
It should be noted that this consultancy is to be filled for an initial period of two (2) months with a possibility of an extension. This is a part-time position.
Please note that the monthly rate for Band B varies from CAD 248 to CAD 392 per day.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: