Protected Areas Planning, Management and Monitoring Expert
- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Riyadh
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Security and Safety
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
Establishment of a National Protected Areas Network.Work Location
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office of UNEP delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy is established at the West Asia Office within the framework of the Strategic Cooperation Agreement between UNEP and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the National Centre for Wildlife and the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture in Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide technical advice and guidance on building the National Center for Wildlife capacity in the field of protected areas planning, management, and monitoring using international best practice guidelines and standards related to participative protected areas planning, management effectiveness monitoring, local stakeholders engagement, ecotourism and sustainable recreation development, integrated natural resources management, environmental education and awareness raising, and biodiversity monitoring.
2. Site-level design and configuration of protected areas using internationally recognized criteria and standards.
3. Develop a practitioner manual related to site level identification and configuration of protected areas in alignment with best practice guidelines adopted by IUCN, WCPA, and other international platforms.
4. Prepare protected areas management plans using technical guidelines customized to the Saudi Arabia contexts in term of legal, institutional, governance, decision making, and stakeholders involvement frameworks.
5. Building technical and management capacities of NCW and partners staff on participative protected areas planning with focus on local communities' involvement and participation.
6. Design a technical manual related to the development of management plans for marine and terrestrial protected areas.
7. Technical guidance to NCW and partners staff on the process of protected areas management plans preparation using the relevant international standard.
8. Technical validation of the adequacy and quality of the management plans and nomination files prepared by the national team of NCW and partners against well-defined criteria linked to the international technical authority of the respective field (IUCN, UNESCO, RAMSAR, etc.).
9. Development and application of a technical standard for evaluating the effectiveness of protected areas management using the international adopted best practice guidelines.
10. Preparation of periodic site-based and country-side reporting on the status and trends related to protected areas and their effectiveness in achieving site management objective and contribution to the national targets.
11. Develop protocols and guidelines needed for the assessment and monitoring of key wildlife species for both terrestrial and marine protected areas and linking them to national reporting related to the status and trends of these taxa against international standards.
12. Finalize technical documents associated the Protected Areas System Plan in Saudi Arabia.
Outputs / Work Assignments (Deliverables):
1. An inception report on the national protected areas in Saudi Arabia.
2. Technical guidelines and scientific reports of national protected areas planning, management, and monitoring.
3. Monthly and quarterly reports of national protected areas planning, management, and monitoring.
4. Training manuals and courses for national protected areas planning, management, and monitoring.
5. Capacity building programme for National Centre for Wildlife.
6. Final report on protected areas planning, management, and monitoring in Saudi Arabia.
Master's degree in biodiversity, ecosystems, protected areas, environmental science, natural sciences, or related fields is required. PHD is an asset.
Minimum of 10 years of professional technical experience in the field of protected areas is required.
Knowledge of protected areas in Saudi Arabia is an asset.
Experience working in West Asia is desirable.
Fluency in English is required and knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: