Career Development Program Intern - Summer 2023
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Silver Spring
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Human Resources
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 28 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Career Development Program assists employed clients in securing job upgrades to improve economic conditions and align with career history and/or career objectives. The intern will work closely with the Career Development team and Financial Capabilities program to promote client self-sufficiency and encourage clients to work towards long-term career goals.
- Provide one-on-one job application assistance including creating resumes, cover letters, and preparing refugee and asylee clients for job interviews.
- Teach job readiness trainings on topics including: introduction to career development, business writing, networking, interview preparation, and financial literacy.
- Advocate for clients’ rights in the labor market by providing references for clients and meeting with employers to educate them about the benefits of hiring IRC clients.
- Other duties as identified by Employment Specialists.
- Intern will learn to create effective resumes and cover letters.
- Intern will learn to communicate effectively with clients across cultures and with interpreters.
- Intern will learn effective outreach strategies for building strategic relationships.