Youth Program Intern - Summer 2023
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Silver Spring
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 28 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The IRC’s Youth Program works to support the integration of school-age recently-arrived refugees and asylees. Interns will support the planning and implementation of IRC's Summer Academy as well as enrolling new
clients in the youth program and completing individual service plans for each individual client.
- Develop Summer Academy teaching content and curricula.
- Assist with program logistics, including setting up program space, contacting participants,
maintaining attendance records, and administering pre- and post- program evaluation surveys.
- Conduct home visits to enroll newly arriving and/or newly referred families in the youth program.
- Interacting directly with clients to build a success plan for each school aged student and assist with monitoring and follow-up with each student.
- Assist students with applications for college, GED courses, scholarships, financial aid, and other
1. Interns will learn about the challenges and barriers humanitarian immigrant students often encounter while integrating into U.S. schools.
2. Interns will gain curriculum development skills including defining learning objectives, identifying and developing effective classroom teaching methods for multicultural, multilingual students, and implementing assessment tools.
3. Interns will gain experience working and teaching in multicultural environments.
4. Interns will learn about the US refugee resettlement system and services and benefits available to refugees and asylees in the State of Maryland and across the US.