- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Brussels
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date:
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)H (no hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
February 14, 2023
Job Posting End Date
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
Terms of Reference
• Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme, preferable in political sciences and / or international relations, from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of UNHCR.
General description of internship
• Provide research assistance on international and EU law.
• Monitor and systematically report on case law rulings of relevance, particularly of the supranational courts.
• Update and prepare the twice-monthly Judicial Engagement update.
• Organise the internal meetings of the Judicial Engagement Working Group (JE WG) and prepare and disseminate the minutes.
• Update and maintain the ‘JE WG Court Interventions Overview Master Table’.
• Assist in the drafting of Considerations Notes, Memos and Submissions related to Court Interventions and legal commentaries and documents that are prepared by the Legal Team.
• Maintain the repository of PLUS third party interventions and commentaries on the common drive and organise, manage and update the SharePoint web-page.
• Actively monitor traffic under the discussion and litigation forums on the ECRE/ELENA Forum and flag interesting topics/issues/questions to the Legal Team and the Litigation Consultant.
• Monitor seminars, conferences and events relating to strategic litigation and EU asylum law, and flag to the Legal Team.
• Take and disseminate the minutes of the weekly PLUS meeting in tandem with the Policy intern.
• Assist with the logistical arrangements for meetings, events, workshops and trainings as may be required.
• Attend meetings, workshops and follow webinars and report back on key points.
• Provide administrative assistance and clerical support as may be required
Standard Job Description
Other informationThis position doesn't require a functional clearance