Editor - (Retainer contract)
- Organization: UNWOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Off site
- Grade: Consultancy - International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement
- Communication and Public Information
- Translations and Languages
- Scientist and Researcher
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: Closed
I. BACKGROUND / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the UN, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In implementing its 2022-2025 Strategic Note, UN Women Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) among others, focuses on improving needs-based knowledge generation, development and sharing of knowledge products as contributions to effective and efficient delivery of ECO’s triple mandate (normative, coordination and operational). These will in turn strengthen ECO’s position as a knowledge hub on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) and enhancing UN Women’s positioning and visibility for evidence-based advocacy and resource mobilization. To ensure the production of quality reports/content in a timely manner, UN Women ECO is thus seeking to recruit an editor with expertise in editing reports, development of policy briefs and documents for publication to donors as well as public audiences. The consultant will support UN Women ECO under a retainer contract, based on demand.
II. OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The main objective of this consultancy is to edit, review and ensure content/materials are comprehensive, concise and results-based oriented.
Duties and Responsibilities
III. SCOPE OF THE WORK
Under overall guidance of the Deputy Country Representative and in close supervision of the Team Lead coordination with Communications Specialist, the consultant will:
- Review, understand and internalize the materials/content;
- Check correctness of language- grammatically correct language, spellings of materials (i.e. content, reports, handouts, etc…);
- Check completeness of documents, including complete information included in all narrative sections and annexes are in place;
- Ensure a consistent style and format throughout the document and elimination of repetition and inconsistencies.
- Appropriate positioning and numbering of boxes, figures and tables;
- Consistent font (s) – as relevant to headings and text;
- Appropriate use of italicized and bolded words;
- Ensure all footnotes, sources, and references are complete and consistent;
- horough review of annexes to highlight incomplete areas along with consistency in presentation as per UN Women publication guidelines (to be shared with the retainer consultant upon signature of the contract) ;
- Review Table of Contents and Acronym List;
- It is expected the consultant will be proactive and work closely with ECO’s staff on the report.
- Prepare specific report-related feedback to relevant UN Women ECO for improvements in the quality of reports
V. EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Country Representative and technical supervision by the team leads of UN Women’s respective units and with support from Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist, the consultant is expected to provide:
- Print ready edited contents on , policy briefs, events briefs, human stories, research documents, periodical reports, manuals, promotional leaflets and related as per specific assignments.
VI. Obligation of UN Women and the Consultant
- UN Women ECO will provide copies of all relevant documentation in electronic copies to the consultant.
- In case of any error or omission in the contracted work, it shall be the responsibility of the consultant to carry out the service to the satisfaction of UN women.
- The consultant should address the comments provided by UN Women upon submission of the draft edited version
VII. TIME FRAME AND DURATION OF CONSULTANCY
The consultancy shall have a one-year contract with UN Women. However, the consultant will be engaged on assignments when there is a need from the units of UN Women Ethiopia Country Office.
Payment will be fully effected upon completion of each assignment.
X. INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENT/REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
- The consultant will be working closely with UN Women ECO
- The contract and payment will be administered by UN Women ECO
- The consultant is required to inform/report to UN Women ECO on the progress of his/her work
- The consultant shall not be based at the UN Women Ethiopia Office premises; and is expected to work remotely
Compliance with UN Core Values
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision, values and strategic goals;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Ability to work remotely in an effective and constructive manner with UN Women Ethiopia Country Office (ECO) staff;
- Being proactive in seeking clarifications, resourceful, solution-oriented;
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
Required Skills and Experience
- Native English speaking and writing professional editor;
- A degree/a certificate in a related field;
- Proven experience in professional writing and editing work at international level;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge and understanding of gender, law and Women’s write;
- Experience in designing and photography usage within publications is an asset.
Years of experience
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive relevant professional work experience on report writing, translation and editing on the area of gender, women’s rights and development
- Strong background and understanding of reporting;
- Experience working with intergovernmental and/or Regional organizations including the United Nations (UN) and African Union (AU) and Substantive knowledge of gender and development will be an asset
- Substantive knowledge of gender and development;
- Knowledge and understanding of the social, cultural, and political context of Ethiopia and work in the country will be an asset.
- Good interpersonal skills and capacity to liaise with parties concerned;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
Language and other skills
- Fluent in and excellent knowledge of written and oral communication in English.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: