Intern, V-Community Digital Platform
- Organization: IFRC - International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Social Affairs
- Communication and Public Information
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Closing Date: Closed
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises; and is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegations and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
The National Society Development and Operations Coordination Division is in turn organised in into three Departments, each of them led by a Director. National Society Development Services Department (NSDS) is one of the departments comprising the unit on Organizational Transformation (OT) with responsibility for the support provided by the Secretariat to its members to become agile, adaptive, well performing and competitive humanitarian organizations. This internship position will liaise with this unit.
The V-Community (V-Com) is an App developed by and for the IFRC. RCRC volunteers and staff from the global network can, as individuals or as groups, easily connect with each other through it, regardless of geographical distances or different languages. The platform can be used on smart phones and can be used both online and offline.
With the V-Comm Volunteers can
- Easily connect with other volunteers regardless of location
- Request support, explore opportunities to collaborate and learn from one another
- Find Initiatives and projects of interest
- Share challenges, insights, ideas and knowledge
The platform and the data that flows through it is managed by the IFRC itself, helping improve data privacy and protection, and enabling anonymized analysis of trends emerging in the network through semantic analysis, network analysis and others. The V-com supports the IFRC’s Strategy 2030, particularly its Transformations 2 and 4 - “Inspiring and mobilizing volunteerism” and “Working effectively as a distributed network”.
Address the needs of the users of the online community, increasing the level of engagement on the platform, monitoring its use, collecting user data, and ensuring its continued relevance for its users.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and support with the implementation of a digital engagement, communication and marketing plan and products to promote the platform, to increase and ensure engagement of users in close collaboration with the V Community Moderator Intern.
- Review and moderate all user-generated content and user profiles (either pre-, post-, or reactive moderation) within forums, comments, images, videos, and audio, liaising with the community engagement manager and other relevant colleagues as required.
- Manage the digital user communication (mailings, social media support etc.) and upload relevant content to the platform, in cooperation with users.
- Ensure timely responses to users’ comments and queries, facilitating exchange and providing references (e.g., to resources, websites, other users etc.) as required.
- Ensure the development of engaging text, image, and video content for the platform and on social media channels, in cooperation with users.
- Support the Community Engagement Intern to facilitate community engagement and awareness in the different channels.
- Develop and measure metrics to understand community growth and evolution and analyse and use these data to respond to users’ needs and increase engagement on the platform.
- Report upon the use of the platform, feedback, and online reviews.
- Support relevant colleagues and users to set up and maintain a learning/event calendar.
- Stay up to date with digital technology trends and adapting to these approaches.
- Act as a reference on matters related to online communities of practice moderation.
- Coordinate with relevant department/ teams to ensure consistency in digital support and engagement.
- Any other duties assigned by the V-community Project Manager.
- Be currently-enrolled in a university or equivalent level, or have graduated recently (normally within 1 year from the date of hiring) in an area that is compatible with the IFRC activities.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in marketing, communication or related field.
- Experience in the production of communication materials (text, video, images etc.), e.g., with photoshop, illustrator, WordPress and other relevant programs.
- Experience with gathering, monitoring, and analysing user data to continuously improve the platform and user experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills in English.
- Working knowledge and understanding of online community platform moderation tools (Forums, Blogs, Photo / Document Uploads, Commenting etc.).
- Ability to work with people from a diverse range of backgrounds, acting as one of the main points of contact for the online community.
- Another official IFRC languages (French, Spanish or Arabic) is an advantage.
Competencies, Values and Comments
Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability.
Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust.
- Please submit your application in English.
- Chinese citizens who are eligible for scholarships organized by the China Scholarship Council are strongly encouraged to apply.
IFRC values equal opportunity, diversity and inclusivity. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates, irrespective of sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, nationality, class, political opinions, ethnic or social origin, disability, religion, or belief.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: