ICT Specialist - Technology Solutions Engineer
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Valencia
- Grade: Mid level - P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: Closed
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of the Field Technology Sections’ (FTS) infrastructure, systems and software applications in support of the operational requirements of Peacekeeping Missions, Special Political Missions, as well as Department of Peace Operations (DPO) and DOS at Headquarters.
FTS is one of the fundamental components that enable substantive work of field missions and timely and secure communications and information exchange within and between UN Peacekeeping Missions and Headquarters.
The Technology Solutions Engineer will carry out his/her tasks at UNGSC, TDDP Section, Technology Development Unit in Valencia (Spain).
The Technology Solutions Engineer initiates and promotes technology solutions and innovations, integrating military and civilian technologies and expertise, in support of making UN peace operations more safe, more effective and more efficient; and creates synergies that emphasize on enhanced operational performance, impact and capacities through the introduction of modern technology to UN peacekeeping and field missions.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Technology Development, Design & Planning Section (TDDPS)/Technology Development Unit (TDU) and directly reports to the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager. TDDPS sits under the Service for Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technology (SGITT).
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for the United Nations Global Service Center.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior UNOPS Programme Manager, the incumbent for this post will be placed in the United Nations Global Service Center. He/She will work within TDDPS.
The Technology Solutions Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Technology Solutions (in particular Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, Force Protection, Symmetric and Asymmetric Threat mitigation and sensors)
- Service Design and early life support
- Documentation and Knowledge Management
- Innovation and Change Management
- Manages relationships with technical experts and field missions programmes with respect to programme and project deliverables while managing risk;
- Builds high quality product design documentation as well as guidelines and SOP’s for the implementation of new technologies in the field missions;
- Identifies and advises on Technologies Solutions (in particular Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance, Force Protection, Symmetric and Asymmetric Threat mitigation technologies, Command & Control systems, Situational Awareness and Sensors) that could enhance better mandate implementation;
- Contributes to the development of innovation frameworks, best practices and technology roadmaps;
- Contributes in liaising with the industry and adhere to the UN procurement rules with the technology sector, vendors, industry, research & development entities and other partners with a view to assess and apply of modern technologies in UN field missions;
- Actively follows technology developments and identify technology trends and solutions with respect to military requirements for peace operations in order to contribute to the workplan to ensure that most updated technologies are used as per mandate and activities requirements;
- Develops and implements product as a service strategy;
- Prepares procurement documentation and provide technical input;
- Advises UNGSC, field missions and other UN entities on technical aspects of technologies from an engineering and operational viewpoint, as required;
- Contributes to create and nurture a culture conducive to innovation and develop innovation roles, talents, and career paths.
- Identifies disruptive threats and opportunities based on trends and shape.
- Applies strategy and cultivate and sponsor breakthrough innovation initiatives.
- Delivers business results from innovation and lead the measurement and analysis of innovation results.
Impact of results
The results of the work of the ICT Specialist - Technology Solutions Engineer impact directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of these services implemented in the DOS supported entities, field missions, agencies, funds, programmes and headquarters. The Technology Solutions Engineer initiates and promotes technology solutions and innovations, integrating military, police and civilian technologies and expertise, in support of making UN peace operations more safe, more effective and efficient; and creates synergies that emphasize on enhanced operational performance, impact and capacities through the introduction of modern technology to UN peacekeeping and field missions. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in information technology, computer science, engineering, electronics or in a field related to the post description.
- A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience in information technology, computer science, engineering, electronics or in a field related to the post description may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
Desired experience: The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- ITIL Foundation
- PRINCE 2 Foundation
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in leading and managing complex ICT or engineering solutions;
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in dealing with Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) solutions.
- Experience in Intelligence Surveillance & Reconnaissance (ISR) systems;
- Experience in dealing with Unmanned Air Systems (UAS);
- Extensive experience in ICT Project Management;
- Good experience in dealing with Counter Unmanned Air Systems (C-UAS);
- Experience in dealing with Request for Proposal (RFP) development;
- ISR responsibilities in an operational military or civilian field environment.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract level: P3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: