Snr Communications Associate
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Brasília
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date:
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
February 19, 2023
Job Posting End Date
1. General Background
Terms of Reference
(Brief description of the national, sector-specific or another relevant context in which the individual contractor will operate)
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Brazilian office is part of a global network that works in more than 130 countries, protecting over 80 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. In more than seven decades, the UN Refugee Agency has helped tens of millions of people to restart their lives and received two Nobel Prizes for its work.
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) is responsible for mobilizing resources from the private sector for refugees. The Individual Giving (IG) section seeks to reach new audiences through advertising and engaging our current supporters and donors. The Corporate Partnerships & Philanthropy (PPH) section develops and strengthens long-term partnerships with companies, foundations, and high-net worth individuals. These private partners are helping us to maximize UNHCR ́s impact and improve its capacity to make a difference by delivering life-saving assistance and sustainable solutions for millions of refugees and displaced people worldwide.
To support this strategy, the main PSP Communications objectives are:
• increase awareness of UNHCR Brazil brand and the refugee cause (via PR initiatives, digital engagement campaigns, and media/content partnerships);
• increase the website reach (via content planning, production, and distribution);
• increase the number of supporters (via lead generation campaigns and newsletter subscribers);
• increase the number of social media followers and public engagement (via digital interactions and community management);
• increase the number of donors and income (via donor-oriented projects and stewardship materials).
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
(Concise and detailed description of activities, tasks, and responsibilities to be undertaken, including expected travel, if applicable)
Reporting to the Assistant PSP Officer for Communications and in close coordination with the UNHCR Brazil Public Information Unit, the Senior PSP Communications Associate will be responsible for supporting the implementation of UNHCR communications strategy in Brazil.
The incumbent will execute a range of activities in the fields of coordination and editorial planning, multimedia content production, social media engagement, video production, Goodwill Ambassadors and other influencers engagement, public outreach and campaigns, news and media relations strategy, fundraising, brand and analytics monitoring.
In detail the Senior PSP Communications Associate will:
• Support the development of news-driven and authoritative content to lead the narrative on forced displacement and show UNHCR’s impact, create emotive storytelling to generate empathy and mobilize action to help refugees.
• Help to forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote UNHCR content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications; promote the work of engaged businesses and civil society actors.
• Assist in research, preparation, editing and production of professional communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR's communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
• Help to ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of our content on relevant UNHCR channels and placing it on external channels.
• Support content coordination, ensuring cohesiveness in UNHCR Brazil’s message across channels
(i.e. website, social media, fundraising channels).
• Act as the focal point for the management of UNHCR Brazil website, supporting the migration and constant updates of the website.
• Support the management of UNHCR Brazil social media content, making regular updates to social media channels to increase engagement and traffic generation to website.
• Liaise with key stakeholders to ensure processes/procedures are adhered to, content is up to date,
and uploaded to UNHCR communication channels.
• Work with the Brazil, global and regional teams to ensure the timely and relevant publishing of content.
• Accurately and promptly produce, edit and upload content to engage key audiences for UNHCR
• Produce original content for the website and social media and support the fundraising program with
other content requirements as needed.
• Help identify thematic priorities and target audiences to meet PSP Brazil communications objectives.
• Monitor news and popular trends to insert UNHCR’s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive communications.
• Oversee traffic generation to the website and engagement in social media channels in collaboration
with Global Digital Unit. Analyzes reports to make optimum recommendations to increase the value
of search engines (SEO/SEM);
• Support the full implementation and improvement of PSP emergency protocol.
• Support the implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of PSP Brazil’s strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on refugee and related matters.
• Input into the development of UNHCR’s Communication strategy in Brazil as required.
• Support the Individual Giving, Major donors and corporate fundraising strategies.
• Develop and complete reporting templates that pertain PSP Communications.
• Guide and supervise the PSP Comms intern and external vendors.
• Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
• May be required to undertake missions and field trips in support of PSP audiences and UNHCR work.
• Perform other duties as required.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
(Clear description of measurable outputs, milestones, key performance indicators and/or reporting requirements which will enable performance monitoring)
• Monitor the implementation of communications projects and adjust accordingly.
• Help to measure, analyze and report on PSP Comms main KPIs across channels, producing regular reports to optimize efforts to reach better results on:
• Brand equity studies
• Media partnerships and PSP products visibility
• Proactive media insertions and preparation of spokespersons
• HPS/Celebrities/Digital Influencers activations
• Content planning, production, and distribution
• Website and social media reach and engagement
• Digital interactions and community management
• Number (and engagement) of supporters (leads and newsletter subscribers)
• Donor-oriented projects and stewardship materials
4. Qualifications and Experience
(List the required education, work experience, expertise and competencies of the individual contractor. The listed education and experience should correspond with the level at which the contract is offered.)
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• University degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or related field.
b. Work Experience (List number of years and area of required work experience. Clearly distinguish between required experience and experience which could be an asset.)
- A minimum of four years’ experience in implementing communications strategies and content coordination;
- Experience working on digital campaigns and producing / publishing web content within the Brazilian context is required;
- Experience copy writing in a communications or fundraising context (i.e. reports, newsletters, brochures) is required;
- Experience with website and social media management and improving its performance is required;
- Experience of analyzing Google Analytics and tracking and tagging systems or similar tools is required;
- Experience with traffic generation, including SEO/SEM is desirable;
- Experience with software for audio-visual editing (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere) is desirable.
c. Key Competencies (Technical knowledge, skills, managerial competencies or other personal competencies relevant to the performance of the assignment. Clearly distinguish between required and desired competencies)
- A vast knowledge and understanding of communication areas and digital content coordination.
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal skills in Portuguese and English.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a result oriented, solution oriented, excellence oriented, accountable, and flexible team.
- Professional experience within the non-for-profit sector, UN agencies or international institutions.
- Experience with digital image/video editing tools (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere) - Knowledge CMS and other communications tools.
Standard Job DescriptionSenior Communications Associate Organizational Setting and Work Relationships The Senior Communications Associate is normally supervised by a Communication Officer or other position as decided by the senior management in the area of responsibility (AoR). The supervisor provides the incumbent with regular guidance, who works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor. S/he keeps frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the office and occasionally with staff at the same level in other duty stations and/or Headquarters; with media, local suppliers, NGO, implementing partners, embassies and UN agencies. The incumbent normally supervises some support staff. The Senior Communications Associate, depending on the organizational structure and location, may also be required to provide support in executing a range of communications activities in the fields of news and media relations, multimedia content production, social media engagement, video production, Goodwill Ambassadors and other influencers, public outreach and campaigns, fundraising, analytics and brand. The incumbent may also be required to help strengthen coordination and editorial planning in the AoR, support advocacy, awareness-raising and digital fundraising efforts as well as strengthening analytics to inform the social media strategies and work plans. All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity. Duties - Support the implementation of communications strategies for countries, situations and special projects within the AoR; help identify thematic priorities and target audiences to meet UNHCR¿s global, regional and country-level communications objectives of leading the narrative, generating empathy and mobilizing action for forcibly displaced and stateless people. - Monitor news and popular trends to insert UNHCR¿s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive communications. - Help forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote UNHCR content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications; promote the work of engaged businesses and civil society actors. - Support the development of news-driven and authoritative content to lead the narrative on forced displacement and show UNHCR¿s impact (e.g. interviews, press releases, flagship reports, speeches), create emotive storytelling to generate empathy (e.g. stories, multimedia content) and mobilize action by signposting concrete steps people can take to help refugees (e.g. digital diplomacy, action-driven campaigns, fundraising). - Help ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of our content on relevant UNHCR channels and placing it on external channels. - Monitor the implementation of communications projects and adjust accordingly. - Assist in research, preparation, editing and production of professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR's communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards. - Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes. - May be required to support the implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of UNHCR's strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on refugee and related matters. - May be required to undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of UNHCR and its work. - Perform other related duties as required. Minimum Qualifications Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher Field(s) of Education not specified (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential) Certificates and/or Licenses Journalism, Social Sciences, Humanities or related fields (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential) Relevant Job Experience Essential: Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications. Excellent drafting skills. Desirable: Experience implementing communications strategies. Professional writing and editing skills. Experience working on advocacy campaigns. Functional Skills CO - Drafting and editing content for International Organizations CO-International Media Contacts CO-Journalism (incl. print, broadcast, photography, video, layout & graphics) CO-Video production for digital platforms (including news organizations) CO-Editing (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential) Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English. ¿ All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power. As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise. This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Other informationUNOPS LICA, Brazilian nationals onlyThe English version is considered original and authoritative, translation to other language(s) serve the purpose of advertisement of local positions where applicable but are not considered as official translationsN/AThis position doesn't require a functional clearance