Project Management Specialist
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: Closed
UNDP is the main provider of electoral assistance within the United Nations framework, providing technical assistance to member states through global, regional and national programmes. In the Arab States region, UNDP”s electoral assistance is provided through the ‘Regional Electoral Support Project for the Middle East and North Africa Phase II’, situated within the framework of the global ‘Governance for People and Planet project (G4PP)’ under the Bureau of Policy and Programme Support (BPPS).
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to democracy strengthening in the Arab region through promoting inclusive participation, strengthening electoral institutions and processes, and creating space for engagement between institutions and civil society. Recognizing that it is the operation of governance systems (or ecosystems) which determine development outcomes, the project adopts an integrated approach that contribute to three inter-connected Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) targets relating to effective, accountable and transparent institutions (SDG 16), protection of rights and access to information (SDG 16), and equitable inclusion and non-discrimination (SDGs 5, 10 and 16). The project works towards three main outputs:
- Increased inclusiveness, effectiveness and sustainability of regional institutions, platforms and processes that strengthen national level processes
- Strengthened electoral and political rights, information, and accountability
- Enhanced inclusive participation in electoral processes and democratic dialogue.
The project is also designed to maximise advantages of UNDP strengths and areas of comparative experience in fields of both electoral support and development assistance. It harnesses the approach of the Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) which offers a multi-sector platform for regional and comparative knowledge and cross-country exchange. It provides strategic policy advice, programme development and technical support, capacity development, policy research and analysis and knowledge services. The project also builds upon the experiences of two previous regional electoral projects, using successes as a launch pad for new interventions and addressing lessons learned.III. Position Purpose
The Project Management Specialist will be responsible for providing project management support to the regional project as well as support and guidance to the implementation of national, regional and global electoral interventions. This support will be provided in line with the Programme and Project Management (PPM) provisions of the Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP).
S/he works under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and collaboratively with the regional project team as well as electoral teams across BPPS’ framework of assistance at national, regional and global levels. S/he will work in close coordination with UNDP’s Procurement, M&E, HR and Programme Finance focal points.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
BUDGET AND FINANCE:
Example of Duties:
- Take the lead in the preparation and implementation of activities, ensuring that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with the Programme Budget and allotments issued, with continuous follow up in Atlas.
- Monitor and review the budget by conducting regular and special reviews from Atlas to assess progress of actual work versus the workplan. Coordinate the production of project reports.
- Define requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilization of project resources
- Develop procedures and implement the same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
- Supervise and provide guidance on financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
- Provide guidance and leadership to more junior staff including country offices and electoral projects
- Certify funds and compliance of requests with UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations by referring to the POPP.
- Prepare donors’ financial reports based on the project documents and annual workplans.
- Prepare the budget for the multiyear workplan and annual workplan.
- Provide periodic financial reports for budget analyses.
- Provide financial report to NY and update project’s financial status in Atlas.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT:
Example of Duties:
- Effectively coordinate actions relative to the administration of human resources activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Define conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
Example of Duties:
- Oversee work related to procurement, billing and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
- Review adequacy of departmental space requirements.
- Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
- Prepare ToR, evaluation of bidding process, managing all type of contracts.
Example of Duties:
- Manage all project events as well as other regional and global high level events, including trainings and conferences.
- Prepare event cost estimations and ensure adherence to agreed workplan budgets for all events.
- Manage travel and DSAs for all participants taking part in project events including those from other regions.
- Manage the protocol procedures for senior participants.
- Lead the communication and coordination process with management, government, civil society and official representatives taking part in project interventions.
Example of Duties:
- Manage any and all audits of the project or those undertaken by/for the project.
- Coordinate the development of in-house business automation applications to enhance operational efficiency and to reduce transactional costs/time in the COs, including introduction and testing of new technologies;
- Implement / expand business simplification tools such as e-tendering, travel management, and similar corporate tools in COs, including training facilitation and remote/on-site support;
- Develop and/or adapt Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for operational functions in business units;
- Co-create and manage regional Long-Term Agreements for quick service provision to the Country Offices;
- Analyze and synthesize issues and solutions across multidisciplinary services provision areas as relevant to COs business operations;
- Develop tailored, cross functional technical and/or process solutions, which fulfil organizational principles and controls while addressing specific client requirements;
- Perform other functions, as assigned by the management team.
- Provide on-demand support to electoral projects in Country Offices, both remote and in-country, to accelerate operational implementation; trouble shooting; and act as first responder to crisis situations.
- Provide operational and administrative support to UN Electoral Assistance Division’s partnership with the project including co-organized events and activities.
- Provide guidance and administrative and logistics support to partners including the League of Arab States, Office of Islamic Cooperation, ArabEMBs and others.
- Respond to ad-hoc support requests and troubleshooting for national electoral projects.
- Operationally support the electoral projects and the UN missions in the preparations of the election process in the MENA countries
Master's degree or (Bachelor’s with two additional years of relevant experience) in Business Administration, Operations Management, Data Analytics or any related
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum five years of working experience in the area of electoral project operations at the international level.
- Experience with UNDP and understanding of POPP highly desirable.
- Full knowledge in using Atlas and EPSAS.
- Experience working in conflict/post-conflict settings, including in the Arab States region.
- Experience in working with governments and electoral bodies in the Arab region.
- Experience in developing, managing and monitoring project budgets.
- Experience in managing high level national, regional and global events.
- Experience with UN audit processes including with project audits.
- Full proficiency in English and Arabic.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competenciesBusiness Direction and Strategy
- Systems Thinking - Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Business Acumen - Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome, Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
- Partnerships Management - Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders: governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Programme & Policy
- Operations Management - Ability to effectively plan, organize and oversee the organization’s business process in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanism
- Risk Management - Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Client Management - Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency. Provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs
- Client Management - Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Client Management - Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Client Management - Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns
- Knowledge Generation - Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: