National Coordinator (NTDs/Kala-azar and CDs)
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Nepal
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Malaria, Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Purpose of the Position
WHO Nepal Country Office supports the Government of Nepal (GoN) in formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans as guided by the WHO Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS) 2018-22. WHO Country Office collaborates with GoN and relevant stakeholders and supports their efforts to reach control and elimination targets for NTDs and country prioritized Communicable Diseases as envisioned. The GoN has already attained significant gains in progress against the kala-azar elimination program and is committed to achieve the elimination of kala-azar by 2030.
Objective of the Position:
The road map for neglected tropical diseases 2021-2030 sets out the global targets for 2030 and milestones to prevent, control, eliminate and eradicate a diverse set of 20 NTDs and disease groups aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals 2030. In collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Population and all key stakeholders, the National Coordinator (Kala-azar/NTDs) position is to provide technical assistance to the central and provincial level in Disease Control, Surveillance and Elimination of Kala-azar, NTDs and VBDs to achieve the elimination milestone by 2030.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
Under the overall guidance of the WHO representative and the direct supervision of the Team Lead (CDS), the incumbent will perform the following:
- Work closely with EDCD and WHO and assist in program planning, implementation, and monitoring of progress of control and elimination of Kala-azar, NTDs and other VBDs.
- Provide technical support in developing country roadmap, strategies, guidelines, action plans, and SOP for the national kala-azar elimination program and other VBDs program in line with the WHO roadmap for NTDs (2021-2030) and SEARO strategy on elimination of Visceral Leishmaniasis/VL.
- Develop annual workplans in line with national strategy on elimination of Kala-azar and implement the workplan activity in coordination with EDCD, province and local levels.
- Support provincial and local staff in implementation of active case finding, case-based surveillance of Kala-azar, VL-HIV co-infection management.
- Provide technical support and assist in capacity strengthening at national and sub-national level including planning, active case detection, surveillance and timely response to the outbreak of Kala-azar and other VBDs in coordination with all key stakeholders.
- Support to build and sustain entomological capacity at the national and sub-national levels and contribute to establish Integrated vector surveillance system and integrated vector control mechanism through trainings, workshops and facilitate series of discussions with entomologists and technical experts.
- Monitor the logistics of Kala-azar program at the national and sub-national level and timely inform the updates of inventory of drugs and diagnostics to the EDCD. Ensure uninterrupted supply in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Convene high level advocacy meeting and national review, TWGs and workshops at the national and sub-national level.
- Development and submission of dossiers claiming achievement of elimination of VL as a public health problem, to be validated by WHO
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisors. This includes duty travel or duty-station reassignment on short notice as per the program requirements.
Essential: University degree in Public Health.
Desirable: Post Graduate Training in Public Health, International Health, Epidemiology, or in an allied discipline.
Essential: At least five years’ experience in infectious disease control and surveillance at the national and sub national level.
Desirable: proven experience in NTDs/Kala-azar interventions at least one year
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
Good interpersonal skills, able to work as a team member in a multi-cultural environment. Ability to travel exclusively within the country and to perform practical hands-on field work. Ability to participate actively and cooperatively in knowledge sharing and policy forums at various levels and to coordinate with the GoN agencies. Good knowledge in Neglected Tropical Diseases and other communicable diseases. Good report writing skills and analytical skills including ability to collect and analyse technical data and information and to draw and present conclusions in written and spoken form. Documentation skills and good writing skills in English and Nepali including ability to write clear and concise progress reports, analytical reports, plans and proposals.-Knowledge and skills in One health concept, strategies and monitoring tools -Infectious disease expertise including epidemiology, entomology, diagnostics, disease control and elimination strategies, updated knowledge of new tools and national strategy development.-Proficiency in Microsoft Office: word processors, spreadsheets and other data processing, programme presentation, Outlook and Internet, and email is essential. Proficiency in Statistical / Epidemiological Analysis software desired. Able to follow instructions and work independently would be an asset.
Other Skills (eg IT): Good computer skills including office software applications and basic statistical/database management.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Use of Language Skills: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken language skills in English and Nepali
Monthly Salary: (Net of tax) NPR 239,245.00 at single rate (taxable as per Nepal Government laws and appointment will be through Special Services Agreement (SSA))
Grade: SSA Level 9
Duty Station: Nepal
- This Vacancy Notice may be used to fill similar positions at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test and interviews will be used as a form of screening
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- Any extension of appointment would be subject to programmatic requirements, performance of the incumbent and availability of funds.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: