Chief Technical Adviser
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Senior level - P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The FAO Country Office in Bangladesh (FABGD) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to country priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the country. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the country and, in collaboration with the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), Divisions, Offices and Centres at FAO headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to these priorities. Through its Country Programming Framework (CPF) the Country Office supports policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, at country level and facilitates the emergence of country partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The position is based in the FAO Representation in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Chief Technical Adviser reports to the FAO Representative for Bangladesh. He/she collaborates with the Country Programme, Country Operations and Administrative Units and in consultation with the relevant technical units at FAO headquarters and the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP).
Lead on the implementation of nutrition and food systems activities in country.
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of programmes of work, projects, related-products and services in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues of assigned programmes/projects; directs the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessment of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects as well as the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports as well as studies, and inputs to publications;
• Directs substantive support to consultative meetings and conferences, to include the proposition of agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars; and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guide lines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Supervises, oversees and monitors day-to-day tasks of Technical Support Unit and, when necessary, in close coordination with the Operation Officer while providing technical assistance to Ministry of Agriculture in implementing the project;
• Prepares the mandate, governance and operational document for Technical Support Unit, in close coordination with the Agricultural Transformation Programme Working Group;
• Contributes and leads to the development of innovative programmes and initiatives in support of agri-food systems transformation and promotes synergies and coordination of innovation activities with FAO's Hand-in-Hand Initiative (HIHI);
• Prepares the annual Technical Assistance Team work plans and budgets and gets appropriate clearance by the donor, FAO and the Programme Steering Committee and subsequently ensures implementation of the agreed activities;
• Develops the terms of reference (TORs) for international and national consultants, and follows through the recruiting process to identify the suitable candidates to work for the programme;
• Supervises and assists the Technical Assistance Team, consultants and the support staff in carrying out their duties and participates in the briefing and debriefing of all consultants and carefully reviews their reports after each mission;
• Reviews the technical specifications for the equipment to be procured under each component of the programme and seeks the approval required from the technical units;
• Develops overall plans for training to be performed under each component of the programme;
• Liaises directly with the various stakeholders on matters related to involvement of partners and other technical agencies as required during the course of the project and develop donor partnership, the private sector collaboration and commitment;
• Monitors all components of the programme according to the programme document. The first review should take place after six months, followed by annual reviews. At each review it should also be assessed to what extent the programme objectives, outputs and activities (including timing) continue to be appropriate or need to be modified to reflect progress and ongoing learning, and recommend amendments as appropriate;
• By the end of the programme, ensures proper hand over process is carried out, prepares the final terminal report of programme in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field.
• Ten years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Working knowledge (proficient - level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate - level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Experience in leading large programmes and projects at a country and regional levels, in-depth knowledge of related administrative, operational and financial procedures related to the project management.
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and donors and multilateral organizations. Working experience in coordination and building relationships with international financial institutions, Foundations, research institutions and the private sector.
• Demonstrated competency in research, planning, managing and executing programs in complex situations and leading teams.
• Knowledge of country programme issues in Bangladesh is considered a strong asset.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: